Academic Coordinator - School of Business
Howard University Mission
Howard University is a comprehensive, research-oriented, historically Black private university providing an educational experience of exceptional quality to students of high academic potential with particular emphasis upon the provision of educational opportunities to promising Black students. Further, the University is dedicated to attracting and sustaining a cadre of faculty who are, through their teaching and research, committed to the development of distinguished and compassionate graduates and to the quest for solutions to human and social problems in the United States and throughout the world.Position Compensation
Salary commensurate with qualifications, education & University guidelines.Position Information
The Academic Coordinator assists in the administration, operation, and monitoring of the academic department goals.
Responsible for orienting and training others and assigning and reviewing their work. May also be responsible for acting in a lead or senior capacity over other positions performing essentially the same work or related technical tasks and reporting to a higher level on a formal basis.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Internal contacts include various departments in the university such as Enrollment Management and Student Financial Services. External contacts include DC Public School officials in the Instructional and Certification offices, public schools, and other colleges and universities.
- Perform and coordinate general office duties, maintain confidential records, update/organize the office resources and perform other clerical/public relation functions as needed.
- Assist students with locating and utilizing the office resources.
- Design and conduct seminars, workshops, programs and bulletin boards promoting academic success.
- Provides managerial and technical support on implementing project objectives and activities.
- Attend all meetings as required by the Director and/or the Dean of the department.
- Assist with coordinating student recruitment and screening, recommends participants to the Director and/or the Dean, enrolls program participants.
- Supervise project staff and be responsible for the coordination of activities among staff.
- Assist the Director and/or the Dean with the orientation, professional development and evaluation of project staff.
- Assists with planning and coordinating program activities including student/parent orientation, field trips, awards ceremony and competitions, educational and career activities, and activities with other TRIO Programs.
- Assist with the development of the staff manuals, student handbooks, and instructor manuals.
- Coordinates the academic year and summer residential program components.
- Demonstrated experience in counseling students in the higher education setting and advising students on academic requirements.
- Ability to analyze complex problems and recommend solutions to ensure all University policies and procedures are adhered to for the preparation of reports, accomplishment of assignments, and completion of program requirements.
- Ability to use standard computer based programs associated with college and university enrollment management and academic record keeping in a windows operating system.
- Competence in both oral and written English.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relations with students, faculty, staff, university officials and the general public.
- Knowledge and experience with TRIO Programs.
- Knowledge of elementary statistics.
- Knowledge of pre-college academic requirements and skills needed to be successful in college freshman level courses.
Bachelor's degree in closely related field and minimum of 3-6 years of relevant experience. 11 years of related work experience may be substituted in lieu of educational qualifications.
Note: This position description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required. The university has the right to revise this position description at any time. This position description is not be construed as a contract for employment.Equal Employment Opportunity
The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex,sexual orientation,gender or gender identity, marital status, religion, disability or protected veterans status. Veterans and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Inquiries regarding provisions for persons with disabilities or veterans status, Equal Employment Opportunity and Title IX should be directed to the Office of Employee Relations and Equal Employment Opportunity at 202-806-1280.
© Copyright 2020 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.