Administrative Assistant III - College of Medicine
Howard University Mission
Howard University is a comprehensive, research-oriented, historically Black private university providing an educational experience of exceptional quality to students of high academic potential with particular emphasis upon the provision of educational opportunities to promising Black students. Further, the University is dedicated to attracting and sustaining a cadre of faculty who are, through their teaching and research, committed to the development of distinguished and compassionate graduates and to the quest for solutions to human and social problems in the United States and throughout the world.Position Compensation
Salary commensurate with qualifications, education & University guidelines.Position Information
The Administrative Assistant III provides a range of administrative support to the Department Chair and multiple faculty and
physician assistants in the Department of Dermatology at Howard University. Responsibilities include assisting with daily administrative
operations, coordinating and scheduling complex appointments and meetings, coordinating travel and preparing associated materials, preparing
correspondence, compiling data, answering telephones, coordinating special projects and events, and records maintenance. This position will
be responsible for monitoring budgets and business affairs, personnel matters and interpreting policy and procedures. The position will
perform duties of a sensitive and confidential nature. Incumbents typically work at a high degree of independence with general direction and
supervision received from the Department Chair.
- Responsible for orienting and training other administrative hires, as needed in the future. May also be responsible for acting in a "lead" or "senior" capacity over clerical positions performing essentially the same work, or related technical tasks.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
- Internal contacts may include senior administrators, faculty, residents, students and staff. External contacts may include vendors, consultants and the general public.
- Provide administrative support to the Department Chair and faculty and physician assistants, to include maintaining schedules, arranging and preparing for meetings, preparation and editing of general correspondence, maintain minutes from meetings as required, preparing and maintaining required reports, and processing expense accounts/reimbursements.
- Greet visitors, and serve as main contact with staff and visitors for faculty, answer telephone, screen callers, take messages and refer questions to appropriate staff.
- Serve as liaison to faculty, staff, students, alumni, patients, outside agencies and the public concerning information or complaints.
- Directs the workflow of the office. Develops, implements, and updates office procedures and practices.
- Assist with the development, implementation, and updating of administrative and clinical standard operating procedures.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism and decorum in the office. Oversee maintenance of the cleanliness and appearance of the office.
- Plan and execute departmental special projects and social events, as well as regional educational events.
- Maintain an updated contact list for department alumni.
- Prepare and disseminate departmental newsletter 1-2 times per year, or as directed.
- Manage departmental fundraising activities, including annual fundraising letter. Collect, deposit, provide receipts, and maintain records of donations received.
- Manage departmental website and social media accounts in accordance with University guidelines.
- Manage administrative tasks and correspondence related to faculty appointments/re-appointments and credentialing.
- Assist with administrative tasks related to hiring/onboarding of new faculty and staff.
- Assist with ensuring provider licensure requirements are up to date, i.e. DEA, DC license, CME, society dues. Create and maintain related files.
- Assign and monitor student rotations, as directed. Ensure evaluations and letters of recommendation for students are completed and returned to responsible parties in a timely manner.
- Provide direction to other clerical staff (if applicable) to coordinate administrative procedures within the department and/or among other offices.
- Monitor departmental account expenditures; maintain and reconcile detailed budgets for departmental accounts; inform management of irregularities and proceed with corrective action.
- Enter personnel and financial documents with related software applications. Perform data analysis of moderate difficulty using tables, graphs, basic statistics, and print final reports. Prepare visuals for presentations.
- Prepare confidential correspondence and reports. Determine and make needed corrections to produce error-free final copy. Assemble data and composes a variety of correspondences for department.
- Manage invoicing and scheduling of periodic maintenance for departmental equipment, e.g. lasers, phototherapy devices, etc. Coordinate the servicing of office equipment as needed, and maintain and order office supplies/equipment as necessary.
- Design office filing systems and files correspondence, and other items according to categorized order. Search files and other information sources to answer questions or assemble data for supervisor and other staff. Use automation to remind supervisor and others of scheduled events, deadlines and other pending matters.
- Work directly with a wide variety of professional, technical and/or supervisory staff to assist in general duties. Review and process a variety of forms both online and hardcopy such as personnel or purchase requests.
- Participate in meetings and conferences pertinent to area of responsibility, recording minutes, decisions, and follow up action items.
- Prioritize and arrange meetings, conferences and appointments for Department Chair, all faculty, and physician assistants; make necessary travel reservations and itineraries; determines and prepares background material needed.
- Manages reimbursements for faculty and physician assistant expenses.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Advanced knowledge of office and administrative practices and principles.
- Ability to operate a fax, copier, scanner, telephone, computer. Skill in typing and the operation of computers, related software applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access).
- Knowledge and skill in accounting and budgeting procedures and techniques.
- Knowledge and skill in managing websites and professional social media content.
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions.
- Ability to adapt to changes in office technology and software to ensure efficient office practices.
- Ability to exercise discretion and ensure a high-level of confidentiality.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (a writing sample may be requested after the interview).
- Strong organizational skills, flexibility, motivation, ability to multitask.
- The ability to work independently, establish and maintain effective harmonious work relations with faculty, staff, students and the general public.
- AA/AS degree and at least 2 years of related work experience.
- BA/BS may be substituted for up to 2 years related work experience.
Note: This position description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required. The university has the right to revise this position description at any time. This position description is not be construed as a contract for employment.Equal Employment Opportunity
The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex,sexual orientation,gender or gender identity, marital status, religion, disability or protected veterans status. Veterans and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Inquiries regarding provisions for persons with disabilities or veterans status, Equal Employment Opportunity and Title IX should be directed to the Office of Employee Relations and Equal Employment Opportunity at 202-806-1280.
© Copyright 2020 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.