Administrative Assistant I/Receptionist - School of Business
Howard University Mission
Howard University is a comprehensive, research-oriented, historically Black private university providing an educational experience of exceptional quality to students of high academic potential with particular emphasis upon the provision of educational opportunities to promising Black students. Further, the University is dedicated to attracting and sustaining a cadre of faculty who are, through their teaching and research, committed to the development of distinguished and compassionate graduates and to the quest for solutions to human and social problems in the United States and throughout the world.Position Compensation
Salary commensurate with qualifications, education & University guidelines.Position Information
The purpose of this position is to provide varied administrative support to an office, department or school. Incumbent follows written and oral instructions with work typically subject to review. Difficult or unusual problems are generally reported to a supervisor. This position may report to a department supervisor, manager, assistant/associate director or assistant/associate dean.
Involves no responsibility or authority for the direction of others.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Internal contacts may include senior administrators, faculty, students and staff. External contacts may include vendors, consultants and the general public.
- Provide general information in response to inquiries in person or by telephone; refer highly analytical inquiries to immediate supervisor.
- Review accounts, reports, records or other documents for completeness, accuracy and conformity within established procedures; collects data to maintain such records.
- Utilize the university's computing software and databases, as required, in the execution of administrative and clerical duties and responsibilities.
- Maintain other's schedules as instructed and makes tentative appointments; makes arrangement for meetings by scheduling facilities and services according to instructions from supervisor.
- Operate copiers, personal computers, fax machines, or other basic office equipment found in the work unit.
- Assemble and/or compile a variety of data from department records for incorporation into reports.
- Prepare correspondences, reports and similar material from rough copy or drafts; composes standard correspondences.
- Assemble and distribute or mail applications, forms and general information requested by visitors, applicants, students or the general public.
- Prepare work orders, supply requisitions, requests for special data or similar actions within established limits and procedures; obtains appropriate signatures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Skill in the operation of a variety of office machines including personal computers, telephones, fax machines and copiers.
- Ability to develop and maintain basic proficiency in the utilization of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and related software applications to perform a variety of typing and/or project assignments.
- Knowledge of general office procedures and practices.
- Skill in basic arithmetic, grammar and spelling.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relations with faculty, staff, students and the general public.
High School diploma or GED and 0-2 years of general work experience. Vocational or other technical school, training or apprenticeship beyond HS may be substituted for work experience.
Note: This position description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required. The university has the right to revise this position description at any time. This position description is not be construed as a contract for employment.Equal Employment Opportunity
The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex,sexual orientation,gender or gender identity, marital status, religion, disability or protected veterans status. Veterans and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Inquiries regarding provisions for persons with disabilities or veterans status, Equal Employment Opportunity and Title IX should be directed to the Office of Employee Relations and Equal Employment Opportunity at 202-806-1280.
© Copyright 2020 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.