Compliance Specialist III
We heard you knock!
The Custom Compliance Specialist III position is responsible for customs compliance and international trade activities required to import or export raw material, components, consumables, samples, and finished goods in a compliant manner. They will provide extensive regulatory compliance guidance and overall support in the establishment and maintenance of internal controls related to Masonite International Corporations (Masonites) customs compliance and international trade program.
These activities include but are not limited to Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) number determination, identifying applicable government agency requirements, review and use of proper valuation methods, country of origin analysis, free trade agreement qualification and solicitation, customs special programs, and export regulatory requirements.
This position will act as subject matter expert for all customs and trade issues involving regulatory oversight. They will work closely with other functions and departments within the organization such as Transportation and Logistics, Sourcing, Finance, Engineering, Operations, and Legal to ensure reasonable care is demonstrated in all areas.
- Use product descriptions and technical data to determine correct classification of goods being imported or exported. Develop and retain audit trails to support the classification assigned and update classification database system. Respond to daily classification inquiries from customs brokers, government agencies, customers and vendors.
- Understand acceptable methods of customs valuation and provide guidance to Masonite personnel on the appropriate method(s) to utilize for cost reporting to government agencies.
- Identify and address all government agency requirements for imported or exported products.
- Provide direction related to rules of origin for country of origin determination, reporting, and product marking. Assist in the qualification, solicitation, and use of preferential related to free trade agreements.
- Support the monitoring, maintenance, and retention of records and documentation for import and export shipments in accordance with local regulations and Masonites internal policy.
- Respond to inquiries from Customs Brokers and resolve problems impacting import shipments. Research and provide information required for customs clearance.
- Respond to inquiries from U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Canadian Border Services Agency, and other Customs agencies.
- Develop post entry documentation and data to support any free-trade agreement claims or to resolve any compliance issues.
- Execute audits for Masonites customs entries. Based on results from those audits, assist in the development of a robust action item plan to address any exceptions found.
- Prepare Binding Ruling requests for submission to U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
- Develop appropriate documentation, training modules, and job aids to deliver training and instruction to internal and external parties involved with or affected by Customs and Trade issues.
- In-depth review of complex legal regulatory documents to successfully address and respond to questions or issues identified by internal and external parties.
- Participate in the development and publishing of internal and external manuals related to import and export requirements.
- Travel as needed (25%-50%)
- Bachelors degree or combination of formal schooling and hands-on experience in the fields of customs compliance and international trade.
- U.S. Customs Broker License preferred.
- Extensive background in the fields of customs compliance and international trade, with a minimum of 7-10 years of direct experience.
- Experience with the use and application of the General Rules of Interpretation (GRI) and Harmonized Tariff Schedule to determine HTS numbers.
- In-depth knowledge of customs valuation methodologies.
- Demonstrated experience with free-trade agreement qualification and certificate of origin solicitation and audit.
- Direct experience with and use of the U.S. Customs Automated Commercial Environment (ACE) on-line portal.
- Experience with Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT), Importer Self-Assessment (ISA), Focused Assessment Audits, is highly desired for this position.
- Strong work ethic and highest level of integrity.
- Self-motivated individual requiring minimal management over-sight.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and ability to deliver subject matter materials to small or large groups of individuals.
- Demonstrated analysis and trouble-shooting skills.
- Able to develop follow-up plans including documentation of actions items, follow-up owners, and time-lines.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with internal and external personnel to ensure successful delivery of Masonites customs compliance and international trade program objectives.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point and Outlook software applications.
Open to extraordinary!
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.