Construction Inspector II
Inspects construction methods and workmanship to ensure contractors build roadways, bridges, traffic signals, airports and related structures in accordance with plans and specifications; acts as consultant regarding work progress and problem resolution; trains others; may serve as the only inspector on a construction project or assist in overseeing construction inspection activities for very large and complex projects within a district or conduct statewide construction inspection activities for ongoing improvement projects. May lead the work fo professional and technical employees. Responsible to a licensed professional engineer who has full authority for approval of all work. Work requires contact with contractors.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities.
- Advises supervisor of inspection activities and problems at plants and assists in coordinating inspections.
- Analyzes procedures to identify deficiencies and recommends improvements to management.
- Attends pre-construction meetings and answers questions from contractors and other attendees.
- Calculates payments due contractors for work completed.
- Consults with lead Inspector and contractors’ personnel on work progress and construction problems; reviews equipment utilization data and time/cost estimates.
- Ensures contractors build roadways, bridges, and related highway structures and/or project improvements in accordance with plans and specifications.
- Ensures adequate levels of equipment and materials are assigned to projects; ensures material tests are performed and materials meet required standards.
- Handles problem calls from producers, suppliers, inspectors and construction project field personnel.
- Interprets plans and specifications and negotiates with producers and suppliers to resolve differences.
- Assists in engineering-related data collection, inspections, assessments, analysis, and review activities for plan development by others.
- Monitors project phasing and traffic control plans or airport closure plans and ensures compliance with approved safety standards; inspects barricades; as required moves traffic control devices and barricades.
- Documents work progress and issues arising throughout scope of project.
- Prepares and reviews correspondence.
- Provides on-the-job training.
- Performs other job responsibilities as assigned.
- 5 to 10 years in Transportation construction inspection. If performing Materials/Process Inspection., experience required in lab work, material inspection or other related activities. (Experience can be satisfied by full-time or prorated part-time equivalent)
- High school graduate, or equivalent
- Valid Driver's License
- TxDOT Strom Water Pollution Prevention Plan courses
- Work Zone Traffic Control (TEEX)
- ACI Field Testing and Strength Testing for Concrete
- TxAPA Level 1B Certification
- OHSA 10 Hour Safety Training
- Other training and certifications as required
This job description may have been redacted to relay a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of the position. In some instances, it may not describe all the tasks that may be assigned. As business demands change, the essential functions of some positions may also change. Position requires the successful completion of applicable pre-employment drug screening and background checks.
Let the next big thing you engineer be your future at CONSOR Engineers!
CONSOR Engineers is inspiring vibrant communities by connecting people through innovative engineering solutions, focused on transportation planning and design, structural assessment, construction services, and water/wastewater. Our project portfolio includes thousands of projects across the United States and Canada with 46 offices in North America and 750+ employees. We are deeply committed to investing in our people – together we are stronger, more innovative, and able to fulfill an engineering vision that makes a true difference.
CONSOR champions growth, creativity, and well-being in our team members. We offer a competitive pay structure and comprehensive benefits package including 401(k), generous PTO, medical, dental, and vision benefits along with company-paid employee assistance program, life and disability insurance, and we recognize the need for work-life balance. Our core values define our company culture and remind us of what we all aspire to – Collaboration, Ownership, New ideas, Safety, Optimism, Respect, Integrity, and Quality (CONSORiq).
We’re made up of talented, collaborative, and driven folks from every civil engineering discipline. We are driven by producing outstanding work and thrive on tackling the biggest projects. If this sounds like a place you could see yourself shining (and we think it is), apply today and let’s create something amazing together!
Diversity Statement (EEO)
CONSOR is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in our workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, we believe in each individual’s potential. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or other status protected by law.
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.