Corporate Counsel, IP
Job Locations US-CA-Palo Alto | US-PA-Philadelphia
Posted Date 1 day ago(7/2/2020 11:31 AM)
Job ID 2020-5209
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an international biopharmaceutical company focused on improving patients' lives by identifying, developing and commercializing meaningful products that address unmet medical needs. We are continuing to expand our commercial product portfolio and our research and development pipeline in therapeutic areas that can leverage our unique expertise.
Our therapeutic areas of focus include sleep and hematology/oncology - areas in which we have a deep understanding of the patient journey and a suite of products and product candidates to address critical needs.
We are looking for the best and brightest talent to join our team. If you're looking to be a part of a company with an unwavering commitment to improving patients' lives and being a great place to work, we hope you'll explore our career openings and get to know Jazz Pharmaceuticals.
* Manage, protect and expand the Company's patent portfolio, including proactively identifying and developing patentable intellectual property and working closely with internal clients and/or outside counsel to prepare, file and prosecute related patent applications.
* Counsel internal clients, including management and members of the R & D, technical operations and corporate development teams, on IP risks and opportunities.
* Review and assist in the drafting and/or negotiation of nondisclosure, research, license and other agreements involving the use, transfer, or ownership of intellectual property.
* Assess and advise on IP risks and opportunities in complex transactions.
* Work with the scientific staff to seek IP protection for clinical and later stage developments that may extend the exclusivity period for company products.
* Provide IP due diligence support for corporate development activities and manage patentability, freedom-to-operate, infringement, validity and regulatory exclusivity analyses.
* Provide support for adversarial proceedings involving company technology or products, including IP litigation, European oppositions, and/or U.S. post-grant proceedings.
* Develop a deep knowledge of the Company's existing and planned research and development programs, business activities, and product candidates in the context of competitor activities, industry trends, best practices, laws and regulations affecting IP.
* Train internal client groups to promote awareness of IP and its implications on various functions within the organization.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* A minimum of 10 years relevant professional experience in a law firm and/or in-house setting, with experience in the pharmaceutical, life science and/or biotechnology industry highly preferred.
* Significant small and/or large molecule patent preparation and prosecution experience, including familiarity with both U.S. and ex-U.S. IP rules, regulations and practices.
* Knowledge of pharmaceutical life cycle management and role of IP strategy in life cycle management.
* Ability to approach IP creation and protection with a strategic mindset by anticipating future business, competitive and legal risks and opportunities and offering creative solutions.
* Experience in drafting and negotiating IP terms in business transactions required.
* Experience with collaborations, consortia and license agreements is strongly preferred.
* Strong business acumen and ability to creatively resolve business issues.
* Ability to manage outside counsel and other external resources for quality work product, value and efficiency.
* Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, including the ability to explain complex issues clearly and effectively to both scientists and non-scientists.
* Flexibility, willingness, and ability to take on diverse tasks.
* Ability to facilitate and contribute to collaborative decision-making processes and work effectively on cross-functional teams.
Required/Preferred Education and Licenses
* A Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school.
* Admission to practice before a state bar.
* Admission to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
* An undergraduate degree in chemistry, biochemistry, or other pharmaceutical-related science required, advanced degree strongly preferred
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.