Datacenter Controls Engineer
Microsoft Cloud Operations and Infrastructure is the team behind the cloud. Microsoft CO+I is responsible for delivering over 200 Microsoft web portals, Live and Online Services around the world including infrastructure, security and compliance, operations, globalization, and manageability. Our focus is on smart growth, high efficiency, and delivering a trusted experience to customers and partners worldwide. We are looking for a passionate, high energy individual to help build the network that powers the world’s largest online services.
Within CO+I, the Datacenter Engineering (DCE) team is responsible for delivering core datacenter infrastructure for Microsoft’s cloud business. The MS portfolio consists of complex, multi-disciplinary, large scale, multi-year datacenter construction and lease projects.
The Datacenter Engineering Group is in charge of engineering and design for all new datacenter builds and the technical compliance of leased capacity. This team is responsible for delivering engineered solutions that align CO+I service level agreements (SLAs).
The Datacenter Engineering Controls Engineer is responsible for leading and directing consultants in the design and coordination of the mechanical systems, associated controls, electrical systems and monitoring, and overall network topology. This role will serve as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) providing key input to other organizations and stakeholders and is responsible for leading controls workgroups with representatives from AE firms and other key stakeholders within Microsoft.
This position requires a detailed understanding of datacenter controls and operational experience. This individual is responsible for specification and drawing development detailing the control diagrams, sequence of operation for the mechanical controls systems, electrical monitoring systems, overall network topology and communication protocols required.
The position will require some travel to sites for “Factory Witness Testing”, consultant/vendor interaction in the design process, as well as final commissioning of the installed systems. Duties include the technical review of BAS and EPMS design documents from lease providers to ensure Microsoft requirements are met.
Knowledge, experience and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in related engineering field
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in mechanical controls engineering, electrical controls engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience in technical discipline specific to HVAC, building automation and EPMS.
- In-depth knowledge of Electrical Power Monitoring Systems (EPMS), Branch Circuit Monitoring Systems (BCMS), Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), Building Automation Systems (BAS), and Building Management Systems (BMS).
- In-depth knowledge of open BAS protocols and communications - BACnet, LON, MODBUS, Ethernet, Web-Services, html, and others.
- Strong experience with the operation and maintenance of building cooling and related mechanical systems (HVAC, Chilled Water, DX Refrigerant, Evaporative, and related controls systems) electrical power distribution, power quality and circuit protection
- In-depth knowledge of server platforms, virtualization theories and concepts, database design and engineering, data management and disaster recovery / planning / risk assessment.
- Solid knowledge of network design, including network switch and media type selection, virtual networks and various topological and architectural strategies for redundancy and security
- Knowledge of construction techniques and terminology including the ability to read and interpret construction drawings and requirements documents is essential
- Ability to lead teams of engineers in advanced engineering and operational processes and procedures as they relate to large datacenter environments
- Must possess strong leadership competencies and willingness to collaborate and work cross- functionally to maximize business results and positive customer experiences
- Experience managing both internal and external vendors, with a proven ability to manage and monitor progress to ensure objectives are achieved for outsourced project efforts
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills at varying levels of business up to and including business executives
- Ability to manage, prioritize and successfully execute multiple concurrent mission-critical infrastructure projects
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.