Director Nursing Virtual ICU
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M F
At Houston Methodist, the Director Nursing position is responsible for the 24hour management of the assigned nursing units and departments in terms of the quality of nursing care delivered, as well as for planning, organizing, leading and evaluating nursing services within area of specialty. This position provides leadership and oversight in the accomplishment of strategic and operational objectives of the Department of Nursing. The Director Nursing provides strategic direction for nursing and business operations, responsible for establishing strategic and tactical plans for clinical services, new programs and human resource allocation. This position promotes a practice environment that empowers nurses to provide effective, compassionate, efficient and knowledgeable nursing care. The Director Nursing works in cooperation with the Medical Staff to ensure regulations and accreditation standards are maintained.
The Director position responsibilities include overseeing the activities of the department staff, ensuring quality, productivity, functional excellence and efficiency to accomplish strategic and operational objectives. In addition, this position is accountable for employee engagement, adequate staffing levels, budget development and compliance, staffing decisions such as hiring and terminating employment, coaching and counseling employees on work related performance, and developing and implementing policies and procedures to ensure a safe and effective work environment. This position also ensures training, monitoring and operations initiatives are implemented which secure compliance with ethical and legal business practices and accreditation/regulatory/government regulations.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental 'Scope of Service' and 'Provision of Care' plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
1. Directs, develops and implements strategic and operational/high level projects and processes either through independent/highly autonomous work or through the facilitation of work teams to enable the effective and efficient completion of objectives. (EF)
2. Oversees management of and ensures development for staff to meet overall objectives in terms of quality, service and cost effectiveness. Provides timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem. Directs management responsibilities of selection, scheduling, supervision, retention, and evaluation of employees. (EF)
3. Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department turnover and/or system metrics on employee engagement indicators: action readiness score, tier level. (EF)
4. Provides leadership and communication to maintain a competent and engaged employee group by conducting regular department meetings to review policies and procedures and operational matters, rounding on all employees, completing performance appraisals, conducting new hire feedback sessions, coaching/corrective counseling, and providing recognition/commendations to achieve desired outcomes. (EF)
5. Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strategic relationships between ones area and other areas, teams, departments, and units to achieve business goals. Drives the promotion of teamwork within and between departments' participates and/or leads and facilitates department process improvements as needed. (EF)
6. Implements change, demonstrating the ability to motivate employees and follow through to ensure change in behavior has actually occurred. (EF)
1. Oversees department operations, designated projects, schedules and activities as needed to ensure that goals or objectives are accomplished within the prescribed time frame. Sets priorities and functional standards, giving direction to staff as necessary to ensure the best possible delivery of service and high customer/patient satisfaction. (EF)
2. Drives department service standards and activities to impact department and/or system score for patient/customerbased satisfaction, through role modeling and fostering accountability. Serves and actively participates on various entity committees as a voice for the department. (EF)
3. Maintains 24hour accountability and authority for decisions regarding patient care, unit operations and personnel management for designated unit(s). (EF)
1. Ensures a safe and effective working environment' monitors and/or revises the department safety plan and/or any specific accreditation/regulatory required safety guidelines. Responsible for staff maintenance of credentials and competencies, per accrediting/ licensing agency and/or department guidelines as applicable. (EF)
2. Employs a proactive approach in the optimization of safe outcomes and information systems by monitoring and improving the department workflow and enhancing operations, using peertopeer accountability and identifying solutions via collaboration. Implements process improvements utilizing tools such as lean principles. Role models situational awareness, using teachable moments to improve safety. (EF)
3. Responsible for employee compliance to policies and procedures and performs associated actions upon noncompliance (i.e., licensure/certification compliance, focal point review requirements, disaster plan, inservices, influenza immunization, wage and hour, standard hours, timely termination submission, timely timecard approval, etc.). (EF)
4. Remains current and proficient with regulatory requirements for the provision of clinical services. Translates the requirements into operations to ensure compliance. Uses automated systems to access, transmit and produce information. (EF)
5. Coordinates the provision of comprehensive, interprofessional patient care that results in clinical excellence, optimal outcomes and maximum patient and family satisfaction. (EF)
1. Develops and manages department operational and capital budgets, approvals, and ongoing maintenance of the department(s), ensuring operation in a costeffective manner. Proactively identifies and plans for capital needs related to current equipment and future department projects. Ensures staffing plans and schedules meet department needs that reflect understanding of the importance of costeffectiveness. (EF)
2. Creates department strategies to achieve financial target and staffing needs, through optimizing productivity, supply/resource efficiency, minimizing incidental overtime and overtime percentage, and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
3. Projects anticipated volume and demand for resources, conducts cost analysis, analyzes and monitors budget reports and variances, evaluates human and material resource utilization and makes necessary adjustments, collaborates with finance and other business personnel to develop new program initiatives. Analyzes and interprets complex data sets and reports (variance analysis, financial/quality, population specific reports). (EF)
1. Identifies and implements innovative solutions for practice or workflow changes to improve department, entity or system operations by leading unit projects and/or other department/ systemdirected activities. Proactively leads task forces and committees. May represent HM at assigned community or professional organization meetings. (EF)
2. Drives change initiatives, maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment' adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements or cultures. Partners effectively with stakeholders as appropriate. (EF)
3. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an ongoing basis. Conducts conversations with staff on their development and IDP. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive' the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Masters degree
o Bachelors or Masters in Nursing
o Three years in a clinical setting, two years management experience
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license, should obtain permanent license within 90 days. Compact license acceptable according to current Board of Nursing requirements
o ANCCrecognized leadership certification within one year of eligibility. Current incumbents, as of job description effective date, have until December 31, 2020 to attain ANCCrecognized leadership certification
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through ongoing skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially about activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Demonstrates the ability to interact with others in a way that gives them confidence in ones intentions and those of the organization
o Ability to use appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans' modifying ones own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations and individuals involved
o Demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through selfdirection initiative and effective interpersonal skills and oral/written communication skills
o Ability to identify and understand issues, problems and opportunities, comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions' using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions' taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints and probable consequences
o Extensive knowledge of regulatory and accreditation agency requirements that impact department' stays abreast of industry changes
o Demonstrates highly effective communication skillsstrong written communications and platform presentation abilities
o Ability to work effectively in a fastpaced environment
o Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in the workplace
o Capable of leading teams/facilitating groups, building consensus and garnering highest confidence in professionalism and work product by senior leadership
o Ability to work under pressure and balance many competing priorities' highly responsive and solution/action oriented
o Proficiency in spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software
o Maintains a positive and supportive attitude and demeanor
o Professional handling of exposure to confidential/sensitive information
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
OnCall* Yes, on a regular basis
*Note that employees may be required to be oncall during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside Yes
of Houston Metropolitan area
Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: _________________________
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND JOB CONDITIONS
Time Spent Inside: 100%
Time Spent Outside: 0%
Depth Perception Yes
Color Perception Yes
Foreign Language No
Sensitivity (Heat, texture, etc.) Yes
Extreme Cold No
Extreme Heat No
Confined Spaces No
High Places No
Remote or Isolated Areas Yes
Physical Hazards including
Magnetic and Radiation Yes
Hazardous Chemicals Yes
Bloodborne Pathogens Yes
Mechanical Equipment Yes
Electronic Equipment Yes
Pressurized Equipment Yes
Note any special equipment used in this job requiring physical demand or special skill:____________________________
Equipment Used Yes/No
TV Monitor Yes
Mechanical Equip. Yes
Non Motorized Yes
Physical Activities Yes/No Frequency
Sitting Yes Frequently 33% 66%
Standing Yes Constantly >' 66%
Twisting Yes Occasionally <' 33%
Bending Yes Occasionally <' 33%
Stooping Yes Occasionally <' 33%
Squatting Yes Occasionally <' 33%
Kneeling Yes Occasionally <' 33%
Pushing/Pulling Yes Occasionally <' 33%
Heaviest weight lifted 30lbs.
Heaviest weight push/pulled 150 lbs.
Distance pushed/pulled 40 ft.
Does the job require lifting weight? Yes
Weight Distance Frequency
01 10 lbs. Floor to Waist Frequently 33% 66%
10 25 lbs. Floor to Waist Frequently 33% 66%
25 50 lbs. Floor to Waist Occasionally <' 33%
over 50 lbs. Waist to Shoulder Occasionally <' 33%
Mobility Yes/No Frequency
Walk Yes Constantly >' 66%
Run Yes Occasionally <' 33%
Stairs Yes Occasionally <' 33%
Ladders No N/A
Inclines Yes Occasionally <' 33%
Objects/Equip. Yes Occasionally <' 33%
Crawl Yes Occasionally <' 33%
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group As one of the nation's leading hospitals and academic medical centers Houston Methodist has brought together some of the nation's leading experts in multiple specialties to serve our patients. As part ofHouston Methodist Specialty Physician Group(HMSPG), these specialists not only provide excellent clinical care, but are on the forefront of research, developing leadingedge technologies and treatments, and teaching the medical pioneers of tomorrow. This combination of clinical service, research and academics ensures patients have access to the latest in treatments and technologies while providing the best in comprehensive patient care. Established as a nonprofit corporation and certified by the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners, HMSPG enables physicians to maintain autonomy with respect to their clinical practice while growing their practice within an academic environment. ',
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.