Director of Expenses, Canada Operations
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
This position will act as the trusted Finance advisor to Canada Operations leaders and their teams. Manage a team that supports the Operations finance activities for the monthly analysis (actuals & forecast, reporting, and overall financial support for the Canada segment. This person is responsible for keeping Functional and BU management well informed of issues and status. These updates will come in the shape of formal reviews with the Canada Operations leadership team as well as with the Global Operations Head on a recurring basis.
In addition to supporting ongoing business activities, this position will play an integral role in supporting transformation activities within both Operations and the internal Expense Shared Service (ESS) team. For Operations transformation, the position will be the primary finance representative for activities like Global Ops Strategy, CostFit, and any other strategic initiatives. For ESS transformation, this role will partner with the Head of Operations Expenses and other peers to enable more streamlined reporting and processes so the team can focus on value-add analysis with the business.Responsibilities:
- Provide expense advisory services to the business through recurring monthly reviews, business case reviews, and other ad hoc analysis.
- Support the CostFit program by ensuring the closed-loop story holds together and business partners are both aware of and communicating the outlook appropriately.
- Act as the key expense representative for the Global Ops Strategy and partner with the workstream owners and executive sponsors to ensure financial transparency of benefits and costs into the program.
- Lead all aspects of the development of reporting which meets the needs of our customers. Provide value-added analysis along with clear and concise commentary on results for our customers.
- Demonstrate a strong technical understanding of the accounting for expenses including company policies and sufficient business knowledge to be able to verify and analyze information under review.
- Use appropriate judgment in dealing with unexpected issues and requests, demonstrating an ability to prioritize work, and balance resource requirements to achieve solutions.
- Play a key role as part of the Expense Management leadership team in the achievement of projects, the goals of process improvement and best practices in expense advisory. Key focus areas include: value realization and unit costing analysis.
- Identify expense risk and opportunities and recommend and influence actions for functional business partners.
- Cultivate an innovative environment by supporting creativity and high-performance teamwork.
- Lead opportunities to collaborate across teams to innovate and drive continuous improvement initiatives.
- Model and encourage collaborative team behaviours (Get it done together, Share your humanity)
- Expand personal network and relationships within the business area supported and the finance teams and demonstrate you have leveraged these expanded partnerships in delivering business results.
- Drive continuous improvement in engagement throughout the organization.
- Accounting designation (CA, CMA, CGA, CPA) with 10+ years of relevant experience in progressive accounting roles.
- University degree in business, finance or equivalent.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate, negotiate and influence effectively.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently, particularly in the area of using sound, independent judgment, problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Results oriented, able to handle expectations, work under tight deadlines and handle contending priorities.
- Excellent customer focus and dedication to quality.
- Strong eye for business with ability to communicate complex concepts and results in a clear, concise, easy to understand manner (written and verbal).
- Confirmed analytical and technical capability - ability to assimilate/summarize a large amount of information from multiple sources and present in a value-added form for senior management
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and ability to learn new applications quickly
- Essbase and Lawson knowledge (or other complex GL package) would be an asset.
If you are ready to unleash your potential it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Canada, Asia, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2019, we had more than 35,000 employees, over 98,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 30 million customers. As of March 31, 2020, we had $1.2 trillion (US$0.8 trillion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $30.4 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 155 years. We trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention and advancement and we administer all of our practices and programs based on qualification and performance and without discrimination on any protected ground.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request any accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.