Financial Editor and Communications Specialist
We are seeking an experienced and talented financial editor and communications specialist for The Institute of Energy Economics and Financial analysis (IEEFA). This is a new position enabled by continued growth of IEEFA and will support the Sydney based Research Director with a particular focus on Indian energy research.
The successful applicant will use their financial or business editorial experience to ensure the production of high-quality, accurate and timely content by our team of energy finance analysts. Previous experience working in the media and within the financial/energy industries or for a business, energy or research organisation is favourable.
The Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA) is a not for profit organisation that conducts research and analyses on financial and economic issues related to energy and the environment. We are an independent global energy finance think tank with expert analysts in India, Australia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, U.S., UK and Puerto Rico. IEEFA's publications and press coverage can be found on our website at www.ieefa.org. The Institute's mission is to accelerate the transition to a diverse, sustainable and profitable energy economy.
IEEFA produces a substantial volume of original research on changing energy markets across the globe. In 2019, our research was covered in over 6,000 media articles (and pickups of articles) worldwide.
Our dynamic Sydney based team works collaboratively with IEEFA's international analysts across different research areas including coal, gas/LNG, renewables and electricity markets.
Roles and Responsibilities
In all activities you will be able to respond in a timely, proactive and accurate manner. You will have exceptional attention to detail and a drive to support the Director and the other analysts to deliver quality content within deadlines. A proactive approach and 'can do' attitude are key to help increase the impact and timeliness of our work.
- Maintaining the quality, structure and accurate formatting (including research annotations) of IEEFA content, including editing reports, briefing notes, commentaries, fact sheets, letters, op-eds
- Writing press releases and commentaries as required
- Preparing these materials for publication and distribution
- Building the media and online profile of IEEFA South Asia and Australia, preparing media launch strategies for our publications and proactively placing op-eds, and engaging with journalists and an online audience to best leverage IEEFA's public interest energy finance research with a focus on mainstream media
- Collaborating with analysts to develop mailing/subscriber lists and building relationships and opportunities for engagement around IEEFA's research
- Working to get IEEFA analysts roles presenting on energy transition at energy, finance, academic and government conferences and forums
- Horizon scanning for energy and finance news - downloading, reading and circulating press articles, investor presentations, industry reports on global electricity markets, coal, oil and gas/LNG, renewable energy, alternative energy technologies and energy efficiency
- Interacting with other IEEFA team-members globally, collaborating on projects, and where feasible, promoting each other's work, as well as sharing relevant information and resources
- Liaising with other organisations as a representative of IEEFA, recognising IEEFA's position as an energy finance expert to inform, guide and mentor as required
- Five or more years of current affairs or business/economic journalism and publishing/editing experience
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Economics, Journalism or a related field
- The ability to interpret complex financial and energy developments quickly and make them understandable to a broad audience
- Superlative editing and writing skills with a knack for developing cohesive narratives and key messaging
- Experience conducting research, fact-checking and relaying findings in a succinct, concise manner
- Versatility, with exceptional attention to detail and rapid turnaround
- The ability to work with senior analysts and provide constructive feedback with diplomacy and tact
- Integrity, hardworking with a positive, proactive attitude
- Motivated by the need to provide evidence-based research to support the current global energy and financial transition towards a zero emissions future - your work will assist IEEFA in its mission to accelerate the transition to a diverse, sustainable and profitable energy economy and have the biggest impact possible
- The ability to edit and refine visual data would be a plus
You would like to use your industry acquired skills and professional standing to make a positive change through your work. You have the ability to leverage engagement and drive measurable results that deliver positive impact. Through optimising research content and outreach you will help advance the financial transition to renewable and alternative energies.
You have a positive, enquiring attitude and can collaborate well with others in our small communications and editing team. You can drive performance in geographically diverse teams and assist in ensuring agreed outputs are met to a quality standard.
Ideally, the candidate will be based in Sydney, although most projects can be completed remotely.
Package by negotiation
Full time/ Part Time (flexible by negotiation), initial 12 month contract with the option of extension by mutual agreement.
Renumeration based on experience.
We encourage your application as soon as possible.
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.