Full time Unix System Administrator Level 2
Please Note: If you are a current Algonquin College employee, apply to this job
via the Workday application.
Network Operations and Infrastructure (Lyle Fisher)
August 24, 2020
Employees who are full-time internal candidates, as defined by the Support
Staff Collective Agreement, will be given first consideration.
July 24, 2020
Please note: jobs are posted until 12:01 am on the job closing date.
The Unix System Administrator Level 2 employee will provide technical advice,
training, guidance and direction to administrative and academic clients and has
responsibility for the efficient and effective utilization of computing,
networking and communication resources. This position is also responsible for
providing technical support and security to the College s IT infrastructure
through planning, tailoring, installation, monitoring and maintenance of
computer operating systems, networking and data communication systems software,
layered software products and utilities.
CLIENT SUPPORT and INCIDENT MANAGEMENT
* Provides routine support to the College s applications such as accoun
management, IP address management configuration, and domain name services
(DNS), quota management, and routine file restoration.
* Responds to client requests for changes and incidents by resolving issues
and maintaining information in the various tracking systems.
* Provides technical assistance and advice to Information Technology
Service staff as well as College faculty and staff in the use of
computing, networking and communications services;
* Develops and documents technical procedures and techniques;
* Provides technical advice and direction to user clients, application
developers and computer operations staff.
SERVER ADMINISTRATION and MAINTENANCE
* Responsible for the evaluation, installation, administration and
maintenance of the system software and operating systems on the
College s centralized computing infrastructure and LAN as well as
* Installs, upgrades, monitors and tailors network operating systems to
accommodate equitable division of and efficient use of machine resources.
* Implements and maintains backup and recovery procedures for operating
system, application software and network data.
* Detects and solves problems with the LAN and their workstations.
* Creates and maintains detailed instructions and processes for the
operation and support of the College s computing environment.
* Coordinates the replacement of older server components.
* Performs hardware maintenance on existing systems.
* Ensures the reliability and availability of servers, inter/intranet,
networking and data communications service by monitoring system
performance and capacity, integrates system components and ensures
adequate backup and recovery procedures are in place
* Tests, configures, installs and maintains highly specialized
internetworking applications in support of the College s electronic
* Reviews and maintains system security by ensuring systems are updated
with patches regularly, reviewing system logs, adequate virus and malware
protection is in place.
* Communicates with technical staff of vendors of hardware and software for
computer systems to resolve issues or determine appropriate solutions to
client business requirements.
* Identifies and isolates problems with the current version of the
operating systems or system applications and reports failures to vendors.
* Identifies and isolates software and hardware problems and failures and
takes the appropriate corrective action;
SERVER CONFIGURATION and DEPLOYMENT
* Evaluates and recommends software packages considered for use on the
College s systems.
* Reviews requirements with clients to determine the appropriate software
and hardware solutions. Provides recommendations and server
configurations to the College community for system infrastructure and
* Assesses the technical capabilities and deficiencies of networking
applications and utilities with regard to College internetworking
requirements and to their deployment on both the College s main netwo
and various LANs/WANs.
* Provides updates on projects and activities related to system
* Assign task based on the expertise and the load of the project members.
* Four (4) year degree in Computer Science or equivalent
* ITIL Fundamentals
* Less than one (1) year working knowledge of Windows systems
* Minimum of one (1) year script programming
* Minimum of two (2) years networking applications and utilities (SMTP,
IMAP/POP, Web, FTP and Proxy), TCP/IP protocol stack
* Minimum of three (3) years of extensive working knowledge of Unix Systems
(Solaris, RedHat, AIX and Linux)
* Minimum of three (3) years Technical support in a large-scale computing,
networking and data communication environment
This position is paid at Payband I
Vacancy is for P02155
Algonquin College values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We
offer an inclusive work environment and encourage applications from all
qualified individuals. However internal candidates will receive first
consideration based on qualifications. If you are invited for an interview,
please notify us of any particular adaptive measures you may require. Workplace
accommodations are available. While we thank all those who apply, only those to
be interviewed will be contacted.
For a copy of the complete job description please contact Human Resources at
Show moreShow less
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.