Harm Reduction Peer Worker (HRPW) PHAC
Working closely with the Harm Reduction Manager at Somerset West Community
Health Centre, the Director of Mental Health and Addictions at Centretown
Community Health Centre and the Director of Health Promotion and Counselling at
Carlington Community Health Centre; the Harm Reduction Peer Worker (HRPW) will
support harm reduction services to people who use drugs in the Centretown &
Carlington Community Health Centre catchment areas.
Harm reduction services will focus on increasing access to health promotion,
prevention, treatment and harm reduction programs and services among high-risk
people who use drugs.
Workers collaborate as a part of the whole Harm Reduction Department. They work
with Harm Reduction Workers, Nurses, the Team Leads, the Manager, and other
members of the team. Workers also collaborate with and contribute to the
overall services, programs and functioning of the Centres.
Workers will be people with lived experience of drug use.
* Fluency in English
* French and other languages an asset/preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Lived experience of drug use
* Knowledge of and experience with a harm reduction approach
* Drug, sex and sex worker positive
* Knowledge of related community resources
* Understanding of homelessness, mental health and addictions
* Ability to work well with others as part of a team
* Commitment to working within diversity and social justice framework
* Basic knowledge of and experience with email, along with research using
* Good listening skills and strong personal boundaries
* Strong organizational skills/time management skills
* Ability to de-escalate conflicts in an effective manner
* Demonstrates an understanding of the differing beliefs and value systems
of others and respectful of all
* Ability to ask for support/provide support when needed
* Valid class G driver s license an asset, but not required
* Needle exchange and safer inhalation training
* Non Violent Crisis Intervention training
* CPR & Standard First Aid
* Overdose Prevention and Naloxone training
* Conducts assertive outreach and provides support to people who use drugs
* Distributes harm reduction materials and collects used equipment
* Provides information about community resources to clients
* Assists clients to obtain resources for healthier living
* Actively listens to clients and offers non-judgmental support
* Promoting safer substance use among people who use drugs, including
health teaching on safer injection practices with the goal of improving
* Supports clients to set up appointments with other services as needed,
providing reminders and accompaniment as needed
* Connects clients to other harm reduction services in community
* Participates in operational regular check ins, as well as weekly team
* Participates in Community of Practice meetings and additional
professional development opportunities/training workshops as necessary
* Participates in Project Advisory Meetings as required
All services are provided using a harm reduction model. Hours of work may vary
depending on the need of the Program.
Please submit your resume and cover letter as one document by email before 5:00
pm EST July 10th, 2020 to or
If at any stage in the selection process you require special accommodation,
please let us know the nature of the required accommodation.
Somerset West Community Health Centre is an equal opportunity employer who
values the diversity of individuals in our programs and services.
Due to the high volume of applicants, we can neither confirm receipt of nor
respond to inquiries regarding your application. Only candidates selected for
an interview will be contacted.
Show moreShow less
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.