Head, Global Medical Epidemiology
The Head of Global Medical Epidemiology will lead an organization responsible for the strategic design, implementation, and interpretation of studies utilizing large external databases that will help inform medical decision-making throughout a product’s lifecycle. This includes accurate disease characterization, precise estimation of the incidence/prevalence of the disease, and description of medical outcomes achieved with currently available therapies. An important goal, in conjunction with Global Medical Impact Assessment, is to collect and analyze data that will provide better understanding of the adherence to, perception of, and reasons for use or non-use of Pfizer medicines and vaccines by patients. GME will also support work done by the Safety Surveillance Research (SSR) organization to collect and characterized post-marketing safety of Pfizer products. This position reports to the Chief Medical Officer for Pfizer.
This is a highly visible, critical position within Worldwide Medical and Safety and requires strategic thinking, leadership and exceptional communication skills.
- Leads a team responsible for accessing appropriate large external data sources to design and perform analyses to provide greater understanding of the impact of Pfizer medicines and vaccines across the development process and lifecycle continuum.
- Accountable for working in a closely aligned fashion with leaders from across the enterprise to ensure that there is availability and provide optimal utilization of analyses performed on external medical databases.
- Generates awareness of and prioritizes medical epidemiology projects that are most critical and/or urgent to our partners across Worldwide Research, Development and Medical (WRDM), Worldwide Medical & Safety (WMS), and Global Product Development (GPD). Collaborates with organizations across the Pfizer enterprise including the Pharmaceutical Business Group (PBG), and Patient Health Impact (PHI).
- Contributes medical epidemiological perspective to regulatory interactions, including support of regulatory submissions and filings, and ensures compliance with regulations and FDA / EMA guidance, through innovative and business-minded strategies.
- Displays foresight and mental agility to rapidly adapt medical epidemiology based on compelling events in the scientific, clinical, regulatory, or public health sphere and derives actionable insights from complex data.
- Collaborates with PHI, GPD, the Global Medical Impact Assessment group within WMS, the Real World Evidence Center of Excellence, and Pfizer’s Chief Digital Officer to identify opportunities to access large data sources that will enhance our insight into medical outcomes of diseases we study and products we manufacture.
- Engages and collaborates with external thought leaders in medical epidemiology to ensure that Pfizer remains at the forefront of this field.
- Maintains knowledge/expertise as an enterprise resource, providing medical insights on incidence and outcomes in patients across a wide range of therapeutic areas that might also inform the potential benefit of a new medicine or vaccine.
- Serves as an active contributor to the WMS Leadership Team in building and developing capabilities across WMS.
- Develops a clear strategy, sets standards, and implements a plan for the analysis of data from large external data sets that support the mission and remit of the WMS organization.
- Provides leadership on strategic issues related to medical epidemiology, working closely with key stakeholders across the enterprise and beyond.
- Ensures optimal engagement and related processes to enable ease of collaboration between our partners in WRDM, WMS, RWE CoE, GPD, PBG, PHI and other stakeholders across the enterprise.
- Provides guidance and mentorship to members of the Global Medical Epidemiology team to ensure they have the necessary skills, capabilities, and experiences to deliver industry-leading analyses and insights.
- Models leadership behavior that is aligned with Pfizer’s Purpose Blueprint and inspires team to achieve goals with quality, compliance, speed, insight, and creativity.
- Establishes high standards of excellence, sets clear expectations, and holds him- or herself and all team members accountable for their actions.
- Acts decisively making effective decisions with urgency. Removes barriers that hinder productivity.
- Accountable for ensuring projects are managed cost-effectively and per budget/timeline, making trade-offs as necessary, and taking appropriate actions to de-risk decisions.
- Ensures that projects are appropriately prioritized and receive the resources and support to position them for success.
- Creates a culture of collaboration and cross-fertilization of ideas and insights across different organizations both within and outside of Pfizer that leverage the latest epidemiologic methodologies.
- Contributes productively to external recognition of Pfizer as both a leader and as a partner-of-choice for epidemiology best practices.
- Outstanding communicator who is able to adapt and deliver an effective presentation suitable to a variety of audiences.
- Effectively informs and influences key internal stakeholders (including all levels of management as appropriate).
- Able to clearly and accurately articulate strategy and tactics in a way that is appropriate for the audience.
- Encourages transparency and fosters an open dialogue with all stakeholders (inside and outside of Pfizer).
Advanced degree in healthcare, health services research or analytics (MD, Ph.D. or equivalent)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills bridging scientific and business needs – integrating epidemiology, quantitative sciences, big data, extensive disease area knowledge and appropriate market/competitive intelligence.
- At least 15 years of relevant experience in the pharmaceutical, academic and/or medical environments plus substantial experience with cutting-edge epidemiological and big data principles and methodologies and their applications to drug development and life-cycle management.
- Knowledgeable of pharmaceutical clinical, commercial, regulatory, competitive and environmental issues as well as relevant Health Authority guidelines.
- An organized, independent, self-motivated individual with exceptional presentation, written and oral communication skills able to tailor presentations to a variety of audiences to suit their needs and maximize understanding on the topic.
- Executive presence and ability to interact effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Proven ability to lead teams, build coalitions and develop strong partnerships across disciplines and geographies in a matrix environment to optimize the function’s performance and contribution.
- Excellent customer-service orientation and ability to think innovatively
- Proven ability to devise and manage metrics/scorecards to measure effectiveness and productivity; strong analytic skills, including the ability to build qualitative and quantitative arguments.
Other Job Details
- Relocation support available
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.