Head, Professional Qualifications and Development (PQD)
Singapore Accountancy Commission
Established in April 2013 as a statutory body of the Singapore government, the Singapore Accountancy Commission collaborates with local and international communities in order to drive accountancy excellence in Singapore through talent development, professional qualification, research and thought leadership. Taking the Committee to Develop the Accountancy Sector (CDAS) final report as our guide, the SAC’s goal is to transform Singapore into a leading global accountancy hub for the Asia-Pacific region by 2020. In fulfilling this mission, the SAC seeks to uphold the values of being relevant, insightful, collaborative and advocative.
The Singapore Accountancy Commission (“SAC”) was set up in 2013 as a statutory body under the Ministry of Finance to develop Singapore into a leading global accountancy hub. In that same year, the Singapore Chartered Accountant Qualification (“Singapore CA Qualification”) was developed and launched by the SAC, as having a professional accountancy qualification of global repute is key to the development of a vibrant accountancy sector. This national professional qualification is also the pathway towards attaining the Chartered Accountant (Singapore) designation.
The Professional Qualifications and Development department within the SAC oversees the entire operation and conduct of the Singapore CA Qualification examinations, including shaping the Singapore CA Qualification to become the preferred qualification of choice by the local accountancy sector.
As the Head of Professional Qualifications and Development, this role is responsible for overseeing the operations and conduct of the Singapore Chartered Accountant Qualification Programme (SACQ) and examinations and shaping the Singapore CA Qualification to become the preferred qualification of choice by the local accounting sector.
This role reports directly to the Chief Executive of SAC and supervises a team in 3 functions:
- Examinations and Programme Development;
- Examinations Administration and Operations; and
- Stakeholder Relationship Management
1) Examinations and Programme Development
Meet targeted Singapore CA Qualification enrolments
- Manage and build relationship with accountancy firms, corporations and universities to ensure pipeline of enrolments for the qualification programmes are secured.
- Monitor candidate numbers and enrolment numbers
- Forecast growth and enrolments in line with marketing activities and efforts.
- Plan, organise and participate/collaborate in appropriate roadshows and outreach events to promote the qualification
Quality, standard and consistency of Singapore CA Qualification examinations and the overall pass rate
- Oversee the technical team to ensure examination materials and learning materials production are running smoothly.
- Oversee and monitor that the examination materials are set conducted in accordance to standard operating procedures and policies.
- Oversee all examination setting and marking contracts managed and maintain by the team and vendors.
- Identify gaps or deficiencies in standard operating procedures and suggest improvements.
- Redesign processes to strengthen controls and or to improve productivity.
- Manage and build relationship with the Learning and Assessment Committees, Professional Educational Council and the examination teams.
Development of the Foundation Programme and Professional Programme modules
- Oversee the team to ensure that the modules remain up to date, relevant and meet the needs of the sector.
- Perform appropriate periodic benchmarking to ensure that the modules and examination materials, and learning materials are in line with international standards of reputable professional bodies.
Develop, implement and maintain all frameworks set up under the programme to ensure SCAQ remains relevant with stakeholders
- Perform appropriate periodic benchmarking
- Evaluate deficiencies in framework and make appropriate changes where required.
Reciprocal Recognition Agreement (RRA) with international reputable to enhance mutual recognition of CA
- Evaluate RRA partners based on the policy
- Engage with ISCA and professional bodies to complete necessary work to achieve RRA for Singapore
- Support initiatives and related work by MTI and or ACRA in the area of mutual recognition
- Manage and build good relationship with the RRA partners and potential RRA partners
Accreditation and Partnership with universities
- Oversee the management of accreditation of universities and granting of module exemptions
2) Examinations administration and operations
Budgets and cost monitoring and revision to fees
- Oversee and review annual budgets in connection to the cost of operations.
- Oversee the monitoring of expenditure.
- Make decisions on cost structure or contract sums, and make recommendation on areas to improve upon, with an objective to improve cost recovery.
- Negotiate contracts terms and value with all vendors
Develop candidate portal to streamline administrative processes
- Oversee development and maintenance of the portal, including all enhancements and negotiations with vendor to ensure smooth operation
Source for new partners to collaborate on/ develop the programme and processes
- Initiate collaboration opportunities where applicable and propose solutions.
- Oversee preparation of Management Reporting for decision making, monitoring and marketing purposes.
- Oversee preparation of regular reports to key stakeholders.
- Prepare and review reports and presentation slides for Committee, Council or Board meetings.
- Analyse data to create useful information, and to identify trends/patterns, which can be used to support the PQD department in their engagement with stakeholders, and/or to support other work streams of SAC.
- Implement satisfaction survey for CA from employers and SCAQ’s graduates, and stakeholders
- Oversee focus groups and surveys conducted to ensure the qualification remains relevant and high in standards
Engage stakeholders to promote SCAQ
- Manage and build relationship with the universities, tuition providers, accounting firms, accredited training organisations
- Develop strategy to promote SCAQ, both locally and overseas
- Qualifications in Accounting
- Professional Membership in in Accounting will be useful
- At least 12 years relevant working experience in the accounting industry, of which at least 5 years are in a managerial and supervisory role (Prior work experience in a Public Accounting Firm, or large organisations, such as MNCs or listed companies, with complex systems and management of multiple stakeholders is an added advantage.)
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent writing and presentation skills, including ability to carry out presentations and public speaking
- Strong technical accounting knowledge
- Savvy in digital technology and online platform
- Creative, self-motivated, pro-active and able to work in a fast pace environment and multi-task
- Good project management skills
- Outgoing personality who enjoys meeting new people and networking
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.