Hold Limited Duration Transportation Organizer - Philadelphia Climate Works
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Date Posted: 7/18/2020
Job Code: 281-19CHP
Job Title: Limited Duration Transportation Organizer - Philadelphia Climate Works
Chapter: Pennsylvania Chapter
Reports To: Conservation Program Manager - Philadelphia Climate Works
Context: The Transportation Organizer supports the work of the Philadelphia Climate Works Coalition and Sierra Club by implementing transportation-related advocacy, engagement, organizing, and coalition efforts.
Scope: Under direction of the Conservation Program Manager, the Transportation Organizer implements the Sierra Club and Philadelphia Climate Works' Transportation campaigns to identify clean transportation solutions that meaningfully address the climate crisis and the needs of all Philadelphians and connects residents, community organizations, and labor partners with opportunities to engage with decision-making processes at the City and State level. The Philadelphia Climate Works Transportation Organizer will help develop a Transportation and Climate Justice policy platform for the coalition that reflects the shared goals of environmental justice communities, labor advocates, and environmental allies. The Organizer will also work to connect new partners with the coalition and build support for climate justice throughout the City.
- Develops and implements campaign strategies for transportation and climate-related advocacy initiatives in Philadelphia with the Philadelphia Climate Works Program and in accordance with the chapter policy. Those campaign strategies include:
- Community outreach and coalition-building
- Further development and implementation of a policy platform in conjunction with the coalition
- Administrative advocacy to build support for the coalition's transportation- and climate-related initiatives.
- Recruits, coordinates, and facilitates grassroots involvement in Sierra Club's Philadelphia Climate Works Program.
- Works with staff, volunteer leaders, and groups to identify recruit and organize volunteers for the Philadelphia Climate Works Program.
- Plans, develops and implements campaign strategies for Sierra Club and the Philadelphia Climate Works Program.
- Monitors, analyzes, and evaluates laws, initiatives and new developments affecting the Philadelphia Climate Works Program Transportation initiatives.
- Makes presentations to community, political, and governmental bodies regarding Transportation Platform campaigns and writes press releases newsletters, flyers, etc. to keep the Club membership and the general public informed.
- Advocates the Sierra Club and Philadelphia Climate Works position on proposed legislation involving transportation and climate-related initiatives; informs and communicates with elected officials, business leaders, governmental agencies, and other non-profit organizations.
- Conducts surveys, investigations, and research needed to achieve objectives of Sierra Club's Philadelphia Climate Works Program's transportation and climate-related initiative.
- Works on task forces, committees, etc. representing Philadelphia Climate Works' objective or mission.
- Works closely with media representatives to ensure that the message of the Club's Philadelphia Climate Works Coalition campaigns are accurately represented by the media.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Heavier seasonal workloads may occur as a result of project deadlines and during peak activity periods. Frequent weekend and/or evening work required.
Knowledge & Skills:
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience in Environmental Studies, Political Science or a closely related field.
- 1-2 years' experience in the environmental justice or social justice field that includes research and organizing campaigns, community engagement, press relations and public speaking.
- Basic knowledge of current social and environmental issues affecting Philadelphia residents; and basic understanding of Philadelphia-area politics and the landscape of labor, environmental, and community-based organizations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. and demonstrated ability to clearly articulate ideas and engage with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to work independently, cooperatively and effectively with the public, staff and volunteers, and coalition partners. Strong ability to network, build trust, and build working relationships.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with volunteers and diverse organizations.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 6 non- exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program. Sierra Club does not sponsor H1B visas.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
*If you are applying for more than one position with us, please attach your job-specific cover letters in the 'Attachments' section
Position Type: Full-Time Permanent
Years of Experience Required:
Contact Name: Sierra Club
Company: Sierra Club
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.