Legal Counsel, Disputes - Sydney
Ernst & Young
The Covid-19 pandemic is creating seismic challenges around the world. Our purpose, to build a better working world, has never been more important. Life at EY has been transformed dramatically but our strong culture of flexible and remote working has helped EY people navigate new ways of working and remain connected with each other and our clients.
A better working world truly starts with the people at EY who are building it every day. Now more than ever we need talented people from diverse backgrounds to help our clients navigate the complexities of this Transformative Age: people with the passion, curiosity and drive to make things better.
We are looking for a legal counsel to join the team in the General Counsel's Office. The role involves providing dispute and litigation advice to support EY's business. The role sits within the Disputes and Employment team in the GCO based in Sydney
Your key responsibilities
- Managing and assisting with dispute matters for the Firm including case management of assigned matters, including strategy; preparation of defence and other pleadings and court documents
- Briefing and instructing external solicitors, counsel and internal and external experts
- Attending court, mediations and settlement conferences and instructing and assisting in the preparation for hearing
- Liaising and reporting to insurers and underwriters and global GCO colleagues
- Responding to and advising on order for document production
Skills and attributes for success
- Ability to provide strategic commercial advice to stakeholders in the Firm
- Highly developed communication and negotiation skills
- Creative thinker and pragmatic problem solver
- The ability to work autonomously as well as make a valuable contribution as part of a team
Ideally, you'll also have
- At least 5 years post admission experience gained in a top or leading mid-tier firm and/or in-house experience
- Proven expertise in commercial dispute matters including professional negligence
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you'll be rewarded for your performance. In addition, our comprehensive Total Rewards package can be tailored to your individual needs, to give you the freedom to manage your role in a way that's right for you. This includes;
- a variety of flexible working and leave arrangements
- personalised career development including coaching and support to help you build your career and access to formal learning so you can develop the skills you'll need to thrive in the future
- a range of tools and benefits to guide and support your health and wellbeing throughout your entire EY career.
At EY, we hold a collective commitment to foster an environment where all differences are valued and respected, practices are equitable and everyone experiences a sense of belonging. Through our inclusive leadership behaviours, a variety of internal networks, flexible working and mentoring programs, you will have the support and flexibility to build an exceptional career.
EY is committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process for people with disability. If you require any adjustments to the recruitment process in order to equitably participate, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application via ***************@au.ey.com or phone +61 3 8650 7788 .
We understand the importance of social distancing at this time so our recruitment and onboarding process will be managed virtually so we can continue to prioritise the safety and wellbeing of EY people, clients, guests and the broader public.
The exceptional EY experience. It's yours to build.
A pply now.
The preferred applicant will be subject to employment screening by EY or by their external third party provider.
© 2020 Ernst & Young Australia. All Rights Reserved. Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.