Medical Advisor, Environmental Health
Health System Support Group
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time (up to 12 months)
Position Classification: Career Medical Officer Grade 1 or Grade 2
Remuneration: $127,539.00 - $154,093.00 (CMO Grade 1) / $160,020.00 - $190,033.00 (CMO Grade 2), plus Superannuation
Location: St Leonards
Hours Per Week: 38
Requisition ID: REQ183039
Where you'll be working
You will be working with a diverse and dynamic team within Health Protection NSW (HPNSW). HPNSW works closely with public health units in local health districts in the development, implementation and evaluation activities to protect public health.
- Support the Director of Environmental Health Branch (EHB) in the conduct of the Director's duties, and act as Director EHB when required.
- Participate in an on-call roster in order to respond to after-hours calls regarding environmental public health emergencies.
- Contribute to the development of public policy within NSW Health in health risk assessment, management and communication.
- Coordinate interagency collaboration in the development of timely and appropriate policy responses to environmental health risks.
- Provide timely, expert advice to the Director Environmental Health, the Executive Director Health Protection, Chief Health Officer & Deputy Secretary Population Health, the Secretary, the Minister, Public Health Units and senior executives of various Government agencies on issues relating to the assessment and effective management of environmental health hazards.
- Maintain sound current knowledge of research and factors impacting on the quality and effectiveness of environmental hazard management including: best practice standards, population needs, approved service models, State and National policy, legislation and regulation, law enforcement, economic and funding issues, public and private sector health initiatives; in order to incorporate and reflect these as appropriate in policy.
- Develop, review and edit draft responses to departmental and ministerial correspondence and briefings to ensure issues are addressed, the information is factual, accurate and succinct, the NSW policy position is properly represented and the language and tone are appropriate.
- Represent the NSW Health position on workgroups and committees at Commonwealth and State levels with government departments, nongovernment organisations, industry, health professionals and the community.
Your application to be considered should include:
- Responses to the questions addressing the selection criteria below
- An up-to-date resume of no more than five (5) pages which clearly details your skills and experience as relevant to this role.
Registered Medical Practitioner in Australia with postgraduate qualifications in public health or related disciplines and/or equivalent relevant experience.Experience in public health, including the surveillance, epidemiology, prevention and control of diseases and a sound understanding of the Public Health Act 2012.Knowledge of toxicology and epidemiological principles, and an ability to apply them to the assessment and management of environmental health risks.Knowledge of emergency management principles and their application of environmental health problems.Experience in policy development, implementation and evaluation.Skills in providing high level policy advice and recommendations on complex issues at chief executive level.Excellent written and oral communication skills, an ability to work as part of a team and the ability to communicate complex information clearly to a range of stakeholders, the media and the public.Superior organisational skills and capacity to successfully manage competing priorities and to deliver high quality products within agreed timeframes and budgets.
Need more information?
1) Click here for the Position Description
2) Find out more about applying for this position
For role related queries or questions contact Aditya Vyas on ***********@health.nsw.gov.au / Tel 02 9461 7***.
NSW Health values diversity and is committed to building an inclusive workplace culture that reflects the community we serve. We encourage applications from diverse community groups including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, LGBTIQ+, those with special needs and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
For more information, visit our or contact our
Aboriginal Workforce contact email: ***************@health.nsw.gov.au
Access and Inclusion Team contact email: ***************@health.nsw.gov.au
- Application must be lodged electronically. Please go to https://jobs.health.nsw.gov.au/ and search Job Reference Number REQ183039.
- To be eligible for employment in these roles you must be one of the following. You can only be offered employment in this role for the duration that your current visa allows you to work in Australia, and you can only be offered ongoing employment if you have a permanent visa that allows you to work in Australia:
- an Australian Citizen, or
- a permanent resident of Australia, or
- a New Zealand citizen with a current New Zealand Passport, or
- a citizen of another country with an appropriate visa that allows you to work in Australia
To learn more about working at the NSW Health, please visit
Applications Close: 3 September 2020 (11:59PM)
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.