Medical Laboratory Technologist, Pathology
William Osler Health System invites adaptable, flexible, and driven Medical
Laboratory Technologist - Pathology, to answer the call to make a difference.
If you have cross-modality training, thrive in a hospital setting with set
procedures and the latest in automated technology, and you want to increase
your exposure, this is the place to be. Your community needs your skills, your
compassion, and your energy, now more than ever. In order to meet new demands,
we need more hands, more heads, and more hearts.
The COVID-19 pandemic is an evolving situation, and above all else, we value
our people. Practical training for working safely and effectively in a fast-
paced, challenging environment is our priority.
William Osler Health System is a multi-site hospital system that serves 1.3
million residents of Brampton, Etobicoke, and surrounding communities within
the Central West Local Health Integration Network. Osler s emergency
departments at Brampton Civic Hospital, Etobicoke General Hospital and Peel
Memorial Centre for Integrated Health & Wellness are among the busiest in
Ontario. We have been named one of Canada s Best Diversity Employers for 20
for its exceptional workplace diversity and inclusiveness programs and one of
Greater Toronto's Top Employers for the eighth time in 2019.
Ready to join? William Osler can offer you:
* The chance to continue to grow and develop your skills, taking training
and certifications to move up to a Senior technologist, Educator, or
* Valuable experience in a hospital laboratory setting where you can move
from one modality to another, gaining and maintaining a diverse hands-on
How you will make an impact:
* Check for the timestamp on all requisitions; ensure specimens are labeled
according to protocol and match requisitions.
* Register patient information in the computer as needed; accessions
specimens; labels, numbers specimens.
* Separate out fresh tissue and stat specimens following protocols; alert
pathologist assistant (PA).
* Make slides and cassettes, ensuring numbers are correct and traceable to
* Appropriately disposes of hazardous wastes and cleans work areas
including: cleaning wax molds, maintaining embedding stations, routine
stainers, tissue processors, cover slippers, solvent recycler, fridges,
freezers, ovens, and other equipment, discarding blocks, slides,
requisitions, and wet specimens according to retention directives and
waste management protocols.
* Prepare specimens for referral or consult.
* Organize blocks and slides for Cytology.
* Deliver containers to OR Frozen Section room.
* Actively participate in the Laboratory quality management system and
* The education and certification. Graduate of an accredited Medical
Laboratory Technology program or equivalent education (CSMLS). Must be
registered with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of
Ontario (CMLTO) in good standing.
* The practical experience. Minimum 2 years recent Pathology experience in
a hospital laboratory setting is preferred or must demonstrate successful
completion of all relevant education / refresher courses within the past
2 years. You are comfortable using Meditech, Paradigm, and Microsoft
Office. You can evaluate and analyze information to facilitate continuous
improvement of the Laboratory process in the interest of quality patient
care. You are comfortable dealing with surgical and autopsy specimens,
and the deceased
* The drive, communication, and collaboration skills.
* Passion for helping others and playing a key role in the health and well-
being of your community members.
* Willingness to follow directives and help where needed.
* An ability to thrive in a collaborative practice model as part of - and
with - multi-disciplinary teams.
* Excellence in decision-making and critical thinking.
* Flexibility and the ability to pivot in a rapidly changing environment.
* Exceptional verbal, comprehension, and written skills in English.
* Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and maintain a high level of
productivity, competence, and professionalism.
Your community thanks you for considering this role.
Apply now. Please express your interest here. We promise to consider all
Come live our values - Respect, Excellence, Accountability, Diversity,
Innovation - with us.
Osler values inclusivity and diversity in the workplace. We welcome and
encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds. We are committed to providing
accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility
for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. (AODA). If you require an accommodation at
any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources at
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.