Program Analyst Health Policy
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and
practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with
public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep
insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding
using data science and analytics. Our work yields actionable information to
guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early
childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and
international development. Mathematica offers our employees competitive
salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of
being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will
experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem
with the company s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of
independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our
mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our
We currently have openings for health program analysts in our Chicago, IL; Ann
Arbor, MI; Washington, DC; Princeton, NJ; and Woodlawn, MD office locations.
The program analyst role blends management and research. As such, we are
seeking prospective employees with a passion for project management and an
interest in improving government operations and health care delivery.
Our current work touches virtually every area of the healthcare delivery system
in the United States. Example projects include:
* developing and maintaining clinical quality of care measures;
* providing technical assistance and learning support to stakeholders to
support program implementation or improve their understanding of data and
* analyzing, designing, and producing large federal insurance program
datasets and reporting systems;
* supporting the implementation of alternative payment models, including
helping the government to assess and calculate the value and/or quality
of health care services
* evaluating the implementation and effectiveness of government programs in
the areas of Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security, among others; and
* studying the effects of multi-payer delivery system innovations on health
care access, quality, and costs.
Successful health program analysts fulfill a broad array of roles at
Mathematica and commonly
Program analysts typically work on more than one project at a time and are
matched to projects that suit their interests and skills and offer significant
opportunity for growth. Regardless of their assigned roles, program analysts
are expected to be leaders within the context of their projects and across the
* Provide the energy, direction, and organization needed to help keep
projects on time and on budget by serving as a central hub of project
activities and facilitating communications across and between internal
and external stakeholders.
* Offer a full suite of project management support services, from helping
project directors plan, manage, and close out complex projects, to
monitoring designing and implementing tools and processes to help
organize data and manage teams.
* Perform complex analyses of projects to monitor and evaluate project
performance and progress, including monitoring project costs, assessing
earned value, and overseeing subcontractors.
* Develop and maintain project collaboration tools, including Microsoft
Project schedules, SharePoint websites, Jira trackers, and Excel
* Provide technical assistance to state and federal health agencies or
healthcare providers by designing webinars or responding to questions
* Draft client memos, technical documentation, proposals and other
contractual deliverables, such as chapters for reports, case studies,
and/or data dictionaries.
* Learn complex policies and develop subject matter knowledge in order to
serve in research-oriented roles that complement their project or task
* Evaluate operational components of projects and programs and describe
problems, options, and solutions to senior staff and client agencies.
As a program analyst, you will join our staff of over 500 health research and
management professionals. We offer a stimulating, team-oriented work
environment that is committed to a diverse culture of inclusion, competitive
salaries, a comprehensive benefits package, and the advantages of employee
* Master s degree in public policy, public administration, business, or
related field; or at least three years of work experience in operations
or management-oriented positions
* Strong management skills, including ability to monitor costs on multi-
million dollar contracts, mentor junior staff, and oversee small teams to
complete work within tight timelines without compromising on quality.
* Ability to think critically and creatively to solve problems and respond
to client requests in situations where guidance is unclear or absent.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills, specifically the ability
to write clear and concise technical documentation and to speak with
* Strong analytic skills, including knowledge of quantitative and/or
qualitative research methods.
* Work experience with a state or federal agency, a foundation, or health
care program is highly desirable, as is prior experience working with
Medicare or Medicaid data.
* Interest in improving and researching government programs or providing
technical assistance to health care entities.
* Certifications demonstrating management proficiency and expertise, such
as Project Management Professional (PMP) or Lean Six Sigma, are a plus.
Experience with management tools, such as Microsoft Project and Jira, is
also a plus.
* Some travel may be required
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and unofficial graduate and undergraduate
transcripts during the online application process. Please also provide a work
product that demonstrates analytic skills and reflects independent analysis and
writing, such as a capstone project, analytic report, or a management plan
(nothing company confidential, please).
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully
undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of
working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be
required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
Available Locations: Chicago, IL; Ann Arbor, MI; Washington, DC; Princeton, NJ;
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any
employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national
origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and
basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Show moreShow less
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.