Research Coordinator - Genomic Medicine
Garvan Institute of Medical Research
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research brings together world-leading clinicians and basic and translational researchers to break down barriers between traditional scientific disciplines and find solutions to disease. Founded in 1963, Garvan’s mission is to harness all the information encoded in our genome to better diagnose, treat, predict and prevent disease.
Our scientists work across four intersecting research themes: medical genomics, epigenetics, and cellular genomics; diseases of immunity and inflammation; cancer; and diseases of ageing affecting bone, brain and metabolism. In addition, three major Centres: The Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics, the Garvan-Weizmann Centre for Cellular Genomics, and the Centre for Population Genomics.
The Australian Genomic Cancer Medicine Program (AGCMP) encompasses several cohort studies to improve the understanding, early detection, prevention and management of cancer. This includes the Molecular Screening and Therapeutics (MoST) study, the Genetic Cancer Risk in the Young (RisC) Study and the closely aligned International Sarcoma Kindred Study (ISKS) all of which recruit patients from multiple sites across Australia.
We require two Research Coordinators for different studies in the AGCMP. The first Research Coordinator is required to primarily be part of the MoST team and the second is required to primarily be part of the RisC/ISKS team.
The Research Coordinator role in the RisC/ISKS team will work to assist in co-ordination of the day to day activities associated with patient participation in the program. This will include contact with patients, liaison with clinicians and medical services and facilitation of biospecimen collection and processing.
The Research Co-ordinator role in the MoST Long Term Follow Up unit will work to assist with the collection of clinical and patient follow up data. This will include contact with patients, clinicians and medical services.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions on the number of staff on-site at the Garvan Institute, the roles are suitable to mostly be working from home, with the expectation that the incumbent display a strong work ethic and regular communication with other team members.
These are both one-year fixed term, full time roles.
The key responsibilities for the RisC/ISKS role include:
- Identify suitable research participants
- Explain the research projects and obtain informed consent
- Arrange appointments with study participants
- Provide general information about the projects
- Coordinate blood collections and liaise with pathology services to obtain tumour samples, coordinate sample transfer and storage
The key responsibilities for the MoST role include:
- Understand the overarching purpose of Australian Genomic Cancer Medicine Program (AGCMP) and the essential data points required for achieving the outcomes of the study
- Conduct online database searches from various sources
- Administer clinical follow up surveys to clinicians, cancer care co-ordinators and clinical trials co-ordinators
- Conduct follow up interviews with program participants
Other key responsibilities for both roles include:
- Administer research questionnaires using professional interview techniques
- Collect clinical data and perform data entry
- Coordinate all aspects of study participation in a well-organised manner
- Ensure data security is maintained to protect patient records, both physically and electronically
The key skills and experience include:
- An appropriate science, psychology or related degree, or equivalent
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Well-developed administrative abilities
- A strong commitment to quality
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Sensitivity to patients privacy and needs
- Excellent attention to detail
- Consistent interpretation of data
- Previous experience in a similar role
- Clinical experience
- Knowledge and/or experience with database systems and records management
How to Apply
Australian/NZ citizen, permanent resident of other applicants with full working rights can only apply. All applications must include a cover letter along with your resume with at least 2 referees. We are reviewing applications as they are received.
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.