Research Software Engineer - ASKAP
• Contribute to a high-profile, global radio-astronomy initiative
• Pursue new ideas and test novel approaches in a unique environment
• Provide software engineering leadership and build key professional networks
As the Research Software Engineer – ASKAP with CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science, you will participate in the development of software components that perform efficient flow of radio astronomy data within a High-Performance Computing (HPC) environment.
ASKAP, the Australian SKA Pathfinder, is CSIRO’s new-technology radio telescope in the remote Murchison region of Western Australia. With 36 x 12m diameter antennas, the array has a total collecting area of approximately 4000 square metres. Each antenna has a novel phased-array feed (PAF) receiver with a frequency range of 700MHz - 1.8 GHz and a 300 MHz instantaneous bandwidth. The PAF technology gives the telescope a 30 square-degree field of view. The $188M ASKAP facility is designed to make transformational discoveries in astronomy by carrying out large-area surveys of the sky and detecting hundreds of millions of new radio sources.
A unique feature of ASKAP is that a supercomputer forms an integral part of the telescope. ASKAP produces data at an unprecedented rate (3GB/s), that is sent to the Pawsey High-Performance Computing (HPC) centre in Perth in real time. The need for ASKAP to produce science ready data products, combined with the need to process extremely large volumes of data very quickly in a supercomputing environment, creates an extremely challenging and rewarding software ecosystem.
In this role you will:
• Liaise with project stakeholders to determine their requirements and priorities, addressing any issues promptly and constructively.
• Assist in the design, implementation and testing of software components.
• Develop and maintain software in a number of key areas.
• Participate in operational support of ASKAP by contributing to fault analysis and rectification.
• Draw on professional expertise and knowledge of other disciplines to recognise opportunities for innovation.
• Network with scientific and engineering colleagues across a range of disciplines.
• Work with the team to create software frameworks to facilitate the development of astronomy software solutions.
Location: Kensington (Perth) WA or Marsfield (Sydney) NSW
Salary: AU$98k - AU$106k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 2 years
To be considered you will hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science and Programming, or have equivalent work experience. You will also have:
• Extensive experience (~3-5 years) developing distributed software solutions using high level programming languages (C/C++ and Python).
• A familiarity with Unix/Linux.
• Experience in parallel programming and High-Performance Computing (HPC) technologies.
• High-level software design and documentation skills.
To see all the criteria required for success in this role, click on the ‘Position Details’ link below.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia’s national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role in relation to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Thursday 27 August, 2020 (11pm AEST)
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.