Script Writer - Mashable
Position at Mashable
Script Writer, Video
Mashable is a media and entertainment company for superfans. We're not for the casually curious. Our entertainment series and editorial coverage are smart, clever, ambitious, in-depth, and first. We devour culture and tech. Our ideas shape the future and we speak to new influencers -- the early adopters who obsess with us around the globe. We deliver nearly 2 billion content views a month, with more than 70 million monthly unique visitors across platforms.
Mashable is seeking a story editor to join a growing team of creative digital video storytellers in New York City. The position is one of clear, simple communication, writing and editing short scripts that make complex topics like science and technology easy to understand with clear, strong language. It is also one of quality control, requiring the story editor to copy-edit video scripts on subjects from science and technology to entertainment, social good, and digital culture. We’re looking for someone who can read video scripts critically, make edits consistent with Mashable’s tone, accuracy, and brevity, and spot spelling, punctuation, grammar, and syntax mistakes. This person will also write headlines for onsite and social media. This is a full-time position located at Mashable’s New York headquarters.
This position is part of the Ziff Davis Creators Guild, a NewsGuild union, and a contract is being negotiated. For more information, please visit the NewsGuild website.
The Day to Day:
- Copy-edit video scripts.
- Write headlines, blurbs, and social media copy for all videos.
- Write short scripts for daily productions.
- Watch final cuts of videos to make sure there are no copy or edit errors.
- Copy-edit posts in content-management systems.
- At least two years of experience as a copy-editor.
- An understanding of Mashable’s tone and style.
- A strong interest in technology, science, digital culture, social good, and entertainment.
- A fast worker with attention to detail, and the willingness to speak up quickly to solve a problem.
- Strong communication skills, and the ability to tell a story simply and efficiently.
- Ability to turn over clean, concise copy on extremely tight deadlines.
- Sound editorial judgment including a deep knowledge of media ethics.
- A positive attitude that’s solution-oriented & unafraid to ask questions.
- Interest & knowledge of tech & digital lifestyle space.
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Mashable is a global media and entertainment company that’s passionate about entertainment, culture, and tech. With smart, spirited coverage of stories that keep people talking, Mashable reaches an audience of 70 million monthly users. Together, our ideas shape the future. Obsess with us.#Mashable
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.