Senior Awards & Compliance Manager
Who We are
At IREX we strive for a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world—where individuals research their full potential, governments serve their people and communities thrive.
But around the globe, persistent poverty, repression, and injustice prevent too many people form achieving their full potential. To address these problems, we focus on people, not on vaccines, roads, or wells. We support individuals and institutions to create change in their own communities—and to create persons-to person bridges between nations.
IREX works with partners in more than 100 countries in four areas essential to progress: cultivating leaders, empowering youth, strengthening institutions, and increasing access to quality education and information.
The Senior Awards & Compliance Manager leads the IREX awards management and compliance line of business and systems supporting and enabling staff to manage programs in accordance with statutes, regulations, and donor and IREX policies, processes, and procedures. This position provides awards management and compliance direction throughout the organization as a key component of the Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO). The work is performed in a dynamic and high-intensity global financial operations and cognitive work environment; requiring ability to manage multiple priorities under tight deadlines while maintaining the highest standard of ethics.
This position serves as the senior technical expert on USG donor compliance rules and regulations for all prime awards, including grants, cooperative agreements, and contracts, and as an expert in the field of USG assistance awards management and procedures. This position is the lead negotiator for prime award compliance and management. Professional accountability and uncompromising fulfillment of procedures, policies, and regulations are critical. This position also leads management and compliance of non-USG awards, comprising 15 percent of total IREX award volume, in close coordination with the internal Strategy and Development Group. The position is responsible for providing guidance, direction, and support to IREX’s executive leadership and management and closely informing the work of OCFO. This position is also responsible for overseeing the development of policies, processes, templates, and workforce training, including materials, to ensure organization-wide compliance and risk management.
We are doers. Our decades of on-the-ground experience help us create greater impact, practical recommendations, and lasting partnerships.
Are you the next member of our team?
Your Background & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required. Master's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, Economics, or related field or relevant certification preferred. An additional three (3) years of relevant experience may be substituted for degree.
- 10 years of progressive work experience
- 4 years of manager-level experience in Federal grants, contracts, and compliance management and administration; graduate education can replace years of experience on a year to year basis up to a maximum of two years
- Advanced expert understanding of 2 CFR 200, 22 CFR 228, FAR, ADS 303 and 202, and AIDAR, GAAP, GAAS, OMB Circulars (A-110, A-122, A-133), and fund accounting
- Relevant experience in management of USG funded awards (grants and subcontracts) in an international operations context is required
- Able to explain complex legal, regulatory, and administrative information to a broad range of individuals from various backgrounds
- Knowledge of Deltek Costpoint preferred
- Experience with A-133 audits preferred
- Experience working in similar international non-profit organizations
- Experience with awards from non-US sources desired
- Experience demonstrating interest in and commitment to IREX mission desired
- Excellent communication and English writing skills
- Financial management skills
Your Daily Tasks
- The position serves as a key point of financial operations contact and direct liaison between international project management teams and the OCFO function.
- Responsible for collaborating with program and support elements in pre-award and award due diligence and review
- Oversees award activities, including overall policies, practices, and procedures related to all aspects of awards management from pre-award solicitation, selection, awarding, monitoring, and assessments to final disposition and close-out
- Works closely with the IREX Grants & Contracts Manager on sub-awarding, sub-recipient monitoring and evaluation, and procurement, including selection of appropriate sub-awarding instrument, to ensure compliance with prime award requirements
- Responsible for developing policies and workforce training on compliance with Federal regulations and IREX policies and requirements
- Responsible for the compliance review process of new prime awards
- Negotiates with funders on terms and conditions of awards and issues of disagreement during implementation
- Communicates and liaises with counterparts at various levels of government and the private sector, including performing as primary point of contact with funders’ grants and contracts officers for approvals, waivers, and other grant actions as well as coordinating S.-based funder reviews
- Makes recommendations on allowability and allocability of costs and activities under awards
- Oversees and ensures completion of funder-and auditor-required compliance reports
- Provide advice on terms and conditions in new business proposals and teaming agreements
- Facilitates award management by proposing and implementing financial and administrative control systems and tools
- Develops and administers systems and supports OCFO efforts to monitor, track, and report related grants management, special grants provisions, and audit requirements including maintenance of complete award files
- Assists with internal & external audits, reviews, and site visits including to IREX Field Offices and sub-awardees
- Keeps abreast of and briefs all staff on changes to USG donor rules and regulations.
- Ensures IREX policies are developed in accordance with donor rules and regulations.
- Provides advice and guidance to program teams on the resolution of complex compliance issues.
- Implements systems to ensures terms and conditions for all award documents are aligned with IREX policies and best business practices
- Participates in new award kick-off meetings
- Works closely with staff to build global workforce capacity in award management, procurement, sub-award management, award close-out and other donor and IREX policies and procedures related to award management
- Develops and maintains GCO web portal reference materials for IREX staff globally
- Contributes to design of workflow processes for review, negotiation, and approval of awards and sub-awards
- Provides review and negotiation of high amount or high-risk grant or cooperative agreement instruments (including agreements, amendments, waivers, prior approvals, etc.)
- Develops and delivers workforce trainings aimed at strengthening organizational compliance
- Contributes to indirect cost rate development, analysis, and negotiation
- Supervise/implement day-to-day accounting, budget, field finance, grants and contracts, and compliance activities consistent with policies and procedures
- Identifies opportunities to reduce cost or lower expenses through industry trends in innovation and/or technology
- Ensures audit readiness and assists with annual audit preparation
IREX will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments of 2008.
Successful candidates are subject to background screenings
This position is eligible for Telework.
This position is not ineligible for Immigration Sponsorship
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
EOE – Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity.
All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. AA/EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.