Senior Electrical System Planning Engineer
Country United States
Area of Interest Engineering
Type Full Time - Regular
Job ID 2020-3125
Sargent & Lundy provides comprehensive engineering and design services for electric power generation and power delivery projects.
Our highly experienced engineering staff is dedicated solely to the energy business. We have the ability to take on the smallest tasks as well as the largest projects.
If you are interested in working in the energy business with an industry leader and for an outstanding group of clients, consider joining Sargent & Lundy.
Our Core Values
We are a company of principled professionals guided by core values that have fundamentally shaped our business practices and culture. They provide us with guidance in the day-to-day performance of our work, and adherence to these values is our compass in all business conduct:
* Exercise uncompromising integrity and ethics in the conduct of all business
* Focus on client satisfaction in all activities
* Maintain a highly competent and satisfied staff
* Communicate openly and honestly
* Improve continuously
This senior engineering position is within Sargent & Lundy's Electrical Analytical Division and will be responsible for the following:
* Transmission system planning and analysis, including studies in load flow, stability, short circuit and electromagnetic transients (EMT), to support a variety of clients such as Developers, Independent System Operators and Regional Transmission Organizations (ISOs and RTOs), electric utilities, both nationally and internationally
* Performing transmission system technical analysis, which includes power flow studies and contingency analysis, stability analysis, voltage analysis, and EMT studies related to the impact of inverter-based generation and high voltage direct-current (HVDC) on the transmission system
* Supporting generator interconnection applications and associated system impact studies
* Aiding clients to comply with transmission regulatory policies, such as: FERC OATT, NERC TPL, TOP, PRC, and FAC standards, Generator Interconnection Applications, and associated studies
We do not sponsor employees for work authorization in the U.S. for this position.
Essential skills and experience:
* A Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering and sufficient industry experience is considered in lieu of an advanced degree
* A minimum of years relevant engineering experience with an emphasis in power system analysis, modeling and protection, including load flow analysis and time domain analysis
* Experience in load flow analysis and contingency analysis to identify transmission thermal and voltage constraints and to identify transfer capability limits
* Experience in stability analysis to identify critical clearing times, identify voltage constraints and analyze power system damping
* Experience using transmission planning software for load flow modeling, contingency studies and transfer analysis (e.g. PSS/E, PSLF, or PowerWorld, TARA, and PSCAD or EMTP-RV)
Valued but not required skills and experience:
* Master's or PhD in Electrical Engineering is preferred
* Experience modeling inverter-based resources and renewable generation, such as Wind Turbine Generators (WTG), photovoltaic (PV), Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS), and hybrid generation, and associated collector system for interconnection applications within software programs PSS/E, PSLF, and PSCAD
* Experience in the interconnection process for large generators (>20MW)
* Knowledge of power regions and ISOs/RTOs, such as: PJM, MISO, NYISO, ERCOT, SPP, CAISO, WECC, SERC, ISO-NE
* Experience in short circuit analysis and using software programs CAPE or ASPEN
* Basic knowledge in renewables generation congestion/curtailment analysis using PROMOD or PLEXOS is a plus
* Knowledge of Distributed Energy Resources (DER) and its impact on Transmission Analysis and Planning is a plus
* Experience in Python, Java Script, or other scripting languages
Sargent & Lundy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any protected status as defined by law.
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.