Senior Software Engineer - News Content Applications
One of the most critical features of the Bloomberg Terminal is our users' ability to access news stories. In addition to being the second-largest producer of news in the world, Bloomberg provides its customers with the ability to consume both Bloomberg and third-party content on Terminal and Mobile clients and devices. 130,000 customers read news stories more than a million times a day, and use their access to those stories to understand what moves the market and make business decisions.
To this end, our team uses a variety of technologies and services to build systems and user interfaces that provide media-rich news content to our clients. The critical nature of news applications necessitates the design of concurrent, distributed systems that are highly scalable, low latency, and resilient. It requires close collaboration with business partners to build intuitive, informational, and flexible user interfaces that can adapt to the constantly evolving news ecosystem and market demands. A successful engineer on the team should be willing to take on full ownership of crucial, highly visible products. They should be excited by the challenges of full-stack development and work across domains to deliver quality projects in a timely manner.
Besides News products like the News Story Reader and News Homepage, our team also owns parts of a variety of multimedia and lifestyle applications such as:
- Bloomberg Media / Bloomberg Live
- Bloomberg Podcasts
- Chart Featured on TV
- Dine & Fly
We'll trust you to
- Evaluate, design and support complete systems end-to-end,
- Explore new technologies and methodologies, finding the best tools for the job rather than those with which we are most comfortable,
- Collaborate with the product, UI/UX and other engineering teams to deliver effectively.
What's in it for you?
- You will become part of an established team comprising a diverse mix of engineers, as well as dedicated Product, UI/UX representatives,
- You'll be contributing to and owning projects from day 1,
- You will be working on applications that are critical to our clients' use of the Terminal,
- Cool (virtual, at the moment) team outings where teams in the whole Engineering News group compete on a game/trivia.
You'll need to have:
- You have knowledge of data structures and understanding of algorithms,
- You are pragmatic at solving challenges,
- You have an interest in full-stack development,
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills.
- You have a BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant experience in a technology field
We'd love to see:
- Experience with large scale systems, and relational database design
- Familiarity with Linux or other UNIX systems
- Some experience with continuous integrations tools and workflows
- Knowledge of open-sources projects such as Kafka, Redis, Cassandra
- Some web development experience
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.