Senior Underwriting Consultant
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
In this role the underwriter will be expected to have detailed knowledge of medical and financial underwriting principles and practices. Focus will be on large face amounts and older age clients. The underwriter will have detailed knowledge of reinsurance guidelines, automatic limits, retention and jumbo limit management. In regards to medical underwriting individual will have good working knowledge regarding risk assessment for impaired risks and the ability to work in concert with medical staff to determine appropriate rate classes.
Financial underwriting skills are to include ability to assess financial justification for both personal and business coverage, to review and understand financial documentation and to have an understanding of insurance planning practices for both estate and business needs. The underwriter will maintain established time service standards and will work effectively under deadlines. Focus will be paid to customer service, underwriter will have both effective and professional verbal and written communication skills
- Manage all aspects of underwriting process.
- Select and classify risk according to company philosophy and standards.
- Analyze and interpret medical, non-medical and financial information.
- Make decisions within approval limits.
- Determine appropriate requirements.
- Comply with departmental procedures, to include medical referrals and cosign requirements.
- Manage retention.
- Build and maintain good relationships with internal and external partners.
- Manage time and resources to meet service standards.
- Continue professional development.
- In depth knowledge of underwriting function.
- 3-5 years experience in a similar role
- Knowledge of medical issues and impact on mortality.
- Knowledge of financial and other non-medical underwriting factors.
- In depth knowledge of retention and reinsurance, to include automatic and jumbo limits.
- Organizational and communications skills.
- Ability to define, research and resolve problems.
- Ability to prioritize and work effectively under published time service standards.
- Ability to create and maintain customer relationships.
- Approval authority – $7,500,000 standard individual life and $10,000,000 standard survivorship life to age 85. Substandard approval limit at 500%.
If you are ready to unleash your potential it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Canada, Asia, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2019, we had more than 35,000 employees, over 98,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 30 million customers. As of March 31, 2020, we had $1.2 trillion (US$0.8 trillion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $30.4 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 155 years. We trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention and advancement and we administer all of our practices and programs based on qualification and performance and without discrimination on any protected ground.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request any accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.