Senior Underwriting Director
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
John Hancock (a division of Manulife Financial) is a top seller of Insurance in North America, providing Life Insurance solutions through multiple distribution channels and markets including the affluent and emerging affluent target markets.
As a member of the Life Underwriting Audit and Control team, reporting to the Managing Director, Underwriting Audit and Control, this position is responsible for executing John Hancock’s Underwriting Quality Review program, which consists of a variety of audit and review components designed to assist with the development of John Hancock life underwriters and monitoring consistency with established underwriting guidelines. Components include, but are not limited to, individual underwriter audits, general process and file reviews, contestable claims reviews, regulatory compliance reviews and underwriter development reviews. Reviews performed are across a large segment of life business, ranging from small dollar face amount cases to multi-million dollar cases and including best risk classes as well as multi-impaired risks. Additionally, a variety of system tools, analytics, underwriting evidences and resources are leveraged to arrive at an appropriate risk class.
- Contribute to the maintenance of profitable mortality experience by performing and documenting accurate and timely new business and post-issue reviews to ensure that underwriting decisions and processes have been followed in accordance with company established guidelines, procedures and philosophy (including both Life, LTC and Critical Illness (riders).
- Audit Attending Physician Statement summaries to ensure documentation is in accordance with our established guidelines.
- Participate in accurate and timely Underwriter Auditor peer reviews
- Complete and take ownership of projects/targeted risk-based audits by developing a review methodology and providing detailed, constructive feedback in a simple, easy to follow report.
- Review contestable claims for potential misrepresentation and process improvements
- Identify and make recommendations for process, training or guideline changes designed to improve the consistency and integrity of the life underwriting function
- Maintain proficiency with current Underwriting practices and procedures
- Support Underwriting strategies by providing quality review and feedback
- Keep current and up to date with the changing compliance and insurance regulatory environment.
- Maintain knowledge of changes in estate/insurance planning strategies to better understand the needs and requirements of large cases
- Meet Underwriting professional development standards.
- Post-secondary education or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 15 years of underwriting experience.
- AALU or FALU designation preferred
Skills and Competencies:
- In depth knowledge and understanding of medical, non-medical and financial underwriting principles and practices
- In-depth knowledge of unique estate, business and insurance planning needs of clients.
- In-depth knowledge of tools and techniques of estate/insurance planning and employed by the producer.
- In-depth/current knowledge of political, economic, financial and legislative events which may impact client needs.
- Strong knowledge of company’s life insurance product portfolio and ability to marry that knowledge with an understanding of producer/client need.
- Strong knowledge of reinsurance, market place treaties, agreements and available capacity.
- Strong knowledge of insurance contract law and state legislative requirements as they relate to the underwriting and issue of life insurance contracts
- In-depth understanding of pre-issue and post-issue Life insurance processes.
- Strong understanding of Life and Long Term Care rider claims processes.
- Exceptional priority management with ability to work effectively under deadlines.
- Strong organizational, time management, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of Life Underwriting related systems.
- Effective presentation skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- High level understanding of product pricing principals.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to work as part of a small team as a collaborative and contributing member is essential.
- Flexibility of thought and openness to new ideas.
- Strong mathematical acumen and a basic understanding of Insurance Pricing and Underwriting.
- Demonstrate an ability to review cases in an open-minded fashion in order to identify learning opportunities.
- Ability to balance the need for efficiency and speed with the underwriting process and the need for securing appropriate underwriting information to make best decision for the client and the company.
- Ability to effectively negotiate and present view point and assessment to stakeholders.
- Build and maintain good relationships within a self-managed team environment and with clients.
If you are ready to unleash your potential it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Canada, Asia, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2019, we had more than 35,000 employees, over 98,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 30 million customers. As of March 31, 2020, we had $1.2 trillion (US$0.8 trillion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $30.4 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 155 years. We trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention and advancement and we administer all of our practices and programs based on qualification and performance and without discrimination on any protected ground.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request any accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.