Sr. Rail Signal Engineer
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Intermodal Division in Houston, Texas as a Senior Rail Signal Engineer.
Under general direction, serves as a recognized technical specialist throughout the company, providing advice on the resolution of major technical problems of marked importance to the organization. Provides technical expertise on programs and projects with substantial fees, developing standards for diverse activities. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct. The individual in this position must be highly organized and develop important relationships with major stakeholders concerning impact and mitigation strategies of transportation system congestion. This individual will manage primarily Rail & Transit signaling projects, design, construction management, mentor staff, build and maintain client relationships, and participate in business development activities. Coordination and communication will be conducted on a regular basis with key representatives of transit agencies, counties, municipalities, State Safety Oversight (SSO), Federal Regulators, and other parties relevant to the management and/or oversight of Rail & Transit projects.
- Performs highly advanced engineering work, involving the solution of unprecedented technical problems that require major technological advances which may open the way for extensive related development, or involving management and coordination of usually large of complex projects, heavy regulatory agency involvement, or unique management requirements and/or client needs.
- Prepare plans, studies, and/or engineering designs including drawings, calculations, and specifications.
- Responsible for the review and analysis of documentation related to the design and implementation of Positive Train Control (PTC) and/or Communications Based Train Control (CBTC) systems including aspects related to equipment installed on vehicles, wayside devices and centralized control rooms, as well as distributed computer systems.
- Keep current with Federal and State funding programs and seek opportunities to define eligible projects that will support public transportation.
- Direct supporting staff of junior engineers and CADD operators.
- This position manages and conducts various assigned projects, including technical assistance and studies specifically related to public transportation.
- Provide field engineering support and respond to construction contractor questions for projects in construction.
- Review submittals and prepare detailed descriptions of review findings.
- Participate in design review meetings and technical working sessions.
- Provide oversight for federal and/or state regulators
- Conduct presentations and meetings with local government officials as directed.
- Manage rail & transit projects and tasks, including staffing, financials, and quality reviews
- Prepare, edit, format and produce technical reports and displays
- Any duties as assigned by manager.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or M.S. in Electrical Engineering or related field. M.S. or graduate level technical coursework preferred. This level may be achieved by Engineers with fifteen years experience since Bachelor's or fourteen years since Master's. Typical incumbent has 20+ years of experience in designing and implementing electronic and related rail signal and control systems, with at least 6 of the 12 years of experience in passenger rail or related transportation modes.
- Thorough knowledge of and experience with Positive Train Control, Communications Based Train Control, Control Center Engineering, railroad block signal systems, and associated communication and control systems as required by the project is required.
- Strong persuasive ability, technical writing and communications skills are expected at this level, proven through technical presentations, technical papers and/or participation in technical committees. May be eligible for project management training.
- P.E. license is required.
- Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary. Job also requires ability to assemble and analyze data, and plan/prioritize project tasks.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here: https://careers.snclavalin.com/equal-opportunities-statement
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.