Team Lead, Fiber Network (REMOTE)
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we're the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We're doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We're a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
About the opportunity
We are looking for a Technical Lead to join our Ting Fiber, Tucows Network Engineering team. In this role, you will be partnering with multiple technical teams (field operations, network infrastructure, network backbone, customer experience, etc.) and product owners to build, optimize, and maintain a highly available, large-scale access network.
An acute focus will be on all of our access layer network components, inclusive of: Residential Gateways (WiFi routers), ONT/CPE's (for both PON and AE connectivity), and BNG Layer3 routers. Engineers that live in the happy intersection of "DevOps" tooling (idempotent scripts, CI/CD testing, source of truth, etc.), Automation (Ansible, Netmiko, NAPALM, Salt), IP networking, and strong peer collaboration are encouraged to apply.
This role is 100% remote friendly, however at least twice a year we like to meet up together (of course, this doesn't apply during a global pandemic). Hires may choose to relocate to our HQ in Toronto, work from our other established offices, and/or work from home. Peers within the team are spread over 4 timezones (PST, EST, GMT, and CET) - we overlap around EST as much as reasonably possible. Strong personal life balance is not just a catchphrase here, vacations and flexible time are the norm. This role may expand to include managerial responsibilities over time. Your peers have operated large Internet Exchanges, worn hostmaster@ duties (when that was still a thing), RV'd across the United States, built giant DnD dice, and contributed to FOSS projects. We look forward to meeting you!
What you'll be doing:
- Designing, building, testing, implementing, and optimizing highly available global network infrastructure in accordance with business requirements and industry standard methodologies
- Responsible for the Ting Fiber (PON, AE, LTE) new IP project roll-out, expansion and special project implementation
- Analyze and resolve network problems in a timely and accurate fashion, including issues related to L3 routing (generally BGP/OSPF based), L2 (MEF, ERPS, etc) metropolitan regional networks, and related infrastructure
- Participate in core network architecture development, IPv6, MPLS, etc.
- Continuously assess the network architecture as part of the growth road map to meet Ting Fibers' strategic needs , more traditionally known as capacity planning
- Pro-actively offers proposals to improve the network, for both technical and operational efficiency
- Lead the development of new technical services, inclusive of vendor relationships, requirements gathering, POC testing, and operational packaging
- Participate in the post-mortem analysis and propose changes that will prevent similar issues from occurring in the future
- Drive monitoring efforts with NOC to improve tooling and resolution process
- Mentor and provide leadership to junior engineers
- 8+ years proven ability designing, operating, and growing Technical Operations focused teams
- Familiarity with one or more programming languages
- A customer-centric focus to advocate for our users, your peers, and the service as a whole
- In-depth understanding of different network architectures and protocols, their strengths, weaknesses and proper use.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to translate complicated technical concerns to non-technical individuals
- Organizational, project and program management planning skills
- Comfortable using PM tools such as Jira, Wrike, or other project management suites
- Familiarity with collaboration tools such as Google Meet, Slack, Lucidchart, etc.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Tucows is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process, please notify us so we can provide suitable accommodation.
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.