Train Control Communication and Information (CCI) Lead Engineer
Siemens Mobility Limited
We are currently recruiting for a CCI Lead Engineer to join our Siemens Mobility Rolling Stock business. This is an exciting time to join us and contribute to our Deep Tube Upgrade programme (DTUP), which is a circa. £5bn contract to design, build, commission and provide technical services to support the introduction to passenger service and aftercare for up to 310 trains on the London Underground Piccadilly, Bakerloo, Central and Waterloo and City Lines.
The first 94 new trains will be introduced to service on the Piccadilly line from 2024 and will be manufactured in Siemens existing metro facility in Vienna and in our new UK facility being built in Goole. This flagship programme will extend Siemens’ reputation for delivery of the most reliable fleets of UK commuter and high-speed trains into the metro market and will be Siemens first trains to be built in the UK.
We are looking for self-motivated people who want to be part of this journey from beginning to end, developing your own knowledge, skills and expertise in parallel with the train development through the design, manufacturing, commissioning and introduction to passenger service programme phases. This journey will take you from your induction into Siemens DTUP team in the UK, to then being part of our DTUP Programme engineering teams in Germany and Austria before returning back to the UK to lead the engineering support for train service introduction and aftercare.
We are seeking a team of engineers who will be responsible for the correct integration, highest reliability and very good performance of overall train software in several project phases (Integration, Static Commissioning, Dynamic Commissioning, Service) upon DTUP.
The Control Communication and Information (CCI) train control software team will be part of a 3-year development plan. The plan is to develop a team of 4 x Train control and 3 x Train IT software engineers to be a sister group within the UK to the head of competence for engineering in Erlangen, Germany. The development will require 3 years within Siemens, Germany to build up the technical competence in preparation for the arrival of the first trains expected mid 2023 in London.
What are your responsibilities?
- Develop the UK CCI Engineering capability and different competencies in a role of functional manager to the appointed engineering staff within the project
- Implement internal engineering processes in connection with project handling
- Write internal test requirements and test specifications; participate in internal design reviews
- Understand common Safety Method-Risk Assessed process / standard EN 50128 / EN 50667
- Obtain full comprehension of Train Technical Specification with know-how in Train control, Train IT and system engineering
- Use DOORS requirement tool to understand requirement implementation and validation
- Document homologation of the train undertaken by working with the homologation department
- Via code review, lab testing and train commissioning
- Carry out code reviews, ensure the quality of the software development
- Create and maintain personal development plan ensuring you are the technical point of contact to wider team
- Deliver reliability and performance improvements through the test, commissioning, warranty and post warranty phases of the project in conjunction with the train design team
- Collaborate with the Deep Tube customer and other business partners as necessary regarding interfaces with their systems. This involves working with the customer to achieve agreement to Siemens planned system architectures where those must interface with the customer’s systems.
- At start of passenger service, troubleshooting investigations with the customer will be required
What do you need to qualify for this role?
- Someone with understanding and awareness of all technical CCI areas (Train Control, Train IT, sub systems, software, safety)
- Bachelor’s degree level qualification in electrical, automation or software engineering
- Previous team leading experience
- Willingness to move to Germany for a period of 3 years
- Experience in Rail or Metro domain knowledge (Preferred)
- You are passionate about understanding complex problems and finding suitable system solutions
- You have the ability to manage multiple user requirements on complex systems
- Good stakeholder and user management skills
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal
- You demonstrate a high-level initiative, flexibility and determination to see a task through to completion
- Good knowledge of IT systems
- You are fluent in English - German language skills are advantageous
- Multiple years of experience in developing hardware or electrical / electronics for Train Control & Monitoring System (TCMS) are advantageous
- Experience of safety-relevant control systems in rail vehicles (preferred)
- Basic knowledge in energy technology or software development (preferred)
- Experience in Requirements management (preferred)
- Model based software engineering (preferred)
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 385,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas of the application form to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance and pension. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.