Youth Mentor (Summer Coach)
Summary: This position is responsible for providing program, administrative and youth supports. Youth mentors will assist teachers in the classroom and accompany and assist youth participants in project-based learning activities focused on green business and will be responsible for ensuring that CPS high school-aged youth have a safe, productive and transformative summer learning experience. Individual accountabilities and work volume will be established through the development of annual Success Objectives, within the framework outlined below.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
•Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or GED attainment required. Bachelor’s degree preferred. Minimum of 2 years experience working with youth in a school-based or out-of-school time program is required.
•Other Skills and Qualifications: Excellent communication skills and leadership skills. Must be comfortable riding a bicycle.
•Certifications, Licenses, Registrations: None
•Background Check: Background check/clearance is required.
•Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as policy/procedure manuals, operating and maintenance instructions. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
•Computer Skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer and other software routinely used by Heartland Alliance.
•Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following competencies.
• Positive Youth Development – Possess an understanding and apply the tenets of positive youth development in summer programming.
•Job Knowledge – Knowledge of resume preparation, specifically for individuals with little or no work history.
•Initiative and Time Management – Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, manage time and complete projects in a fast-paced, changing environment with minimal supervision.
•Listening/Problem Solving – Ability to give full attention to what others are saying, asking appropriate questions to clarify as necessary. Ability to effectively utilize strength-based assessments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruits and orients youth participants for summer program
- Provides intake for youth participants
- Ensures safety of youth at all times during programming
- Collects timesheets and distributes youth stipend payroll
- Assists Greencorps instructors in delivering Bicycle, Urban Agriculture and Forestry lesson s
- Plans and delivers job readiness, career exploration and college awareness lessons to youth
- Effectively coordinates activities with program and community partners including CDOT and CPS amongst others
- Maintains participant files and organizational database to include all participant’s notes as required by program or contract guidelines, as well as demographic and employment information as needed. Strong attention to detail is required.
- Completes all required paperwork in a neat and timely manner and in accord with program guidelines.
- Accompanies youth participants on field trips and recreational activities
- Assists youth in completing green-industry focused project based activities and helps plan activities
- Bicycles to various locations with youth participants
- Assists youth particpants in overcoming barriers to successful program completion
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
•While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
•The employee is regularly required to sit, stand and walk.
•The employee is regularly required to use hands to key, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
•The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, climb and/or crawl.
•The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
•The employee must operate a bicycle.
•Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
•While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to travel off-site
•While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions.
•The noise in the work environment is moderate.
Heartland Alliance makes all hiring and employment decisions, and operates all programs, services, and functions without regard to race, receipt of an order of protection, creed, color, age, gender, gender identity, marital or parental status, religion, ancestry, national origin, amnesty, physical or mental disability, protected veterans status, genetic information, sexual orientation, immigrant status, political affiliation or belief, use of FMLA, VESSA, military, and family military rights, ex-offender status (depending on the offense and position to be filled), unfavorable military discharge, membership in an organization whose primary purpose is the protection of civil rights or improvement of living conditions and human relations, height, weight, or HIV infection, in accord with the organization's AIDS Policy Statement of September 1987.
FindTheBestJob is a free service and does not charge a fee at any stage of application or recruitment process. Don’t provide your bank account or credit card details to anyone during job application. FindTheBestJob does not guarantee the availability of a job since organizations may end applications earlier than due date.