The Assistant Director of Digital Content & Operations at Drexel University’s College of Engineering reports to the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications working on projects in support of the college’s strategic plan through the oversight and continuous improvement of digital communications channels.
The assistant director is responsible for project management and implementation of digital communications initiatives. Responsibilities include creating content and media; updating, monitoring, measuring, and analyzing the college’s website, email and other digital communications; and using analytics to assess performance and make recommendations to assure that initiatives are achieving the goals set for them. The assistant director leads the college in the creative use of digital communications technologies in support of internal relations, recruitment and retention of students and engagement with alumni, peer school and industry partners. The role ensures that digital content raises the college’s profile, elevates the brand, communicates effectively, and supports the activities of the college and its departments.
- Oversees the content and structure of the College of Engineering website and related digital properties. Uses expertise to make recommendations by applying best practices in user experience, search engine optimization and site architecture, while complying with university and industry standards and general web usability and accessibility guidelines
- Expertise with managing and creating WordPress for ancillary websites. Oversees use of Payment Net services for the college
- Coordinate with University-level communications central web governing unit for updates, service requests or to obtain access and necessary permissions to make programming and technical changes as needed
- Assures consistency of information across all digital communications and seeks new ways to make improvements to processes and ensures accuracy and efficiency
- Manages and monitors incoming requests for communications support and assigns work to team members as needed. Elevates issues to senior director as necessary
- Skilled project manager with experience using project management tools to traffic tasks, ensure that projects are properly entered, and questions are answered
- Assigns tasks in project system, monitors progress, follows up to ensure deadlines are met
- Develops relationships with college departments and helps to nurture a culture of collaboration
- Acts as a consultant in support of maintaining content accuracy and assists with ongoing efforts to create compelling content to meet department objectives, while maintaining alignment with college and University branding
- Uses Google Analytics and other resources to monitor website activity to evaluate impact of various strategic initiatives and sources. Makes follow-up recommendations based on observations
- Manages college events on the University web calendar. Seeks out liaisons within the departments to ensure information is current and regularly updated
- Assembles and deploys effective digital communications. Develops schedule of departmental communications and follows up with contributors within college and University
- Works closely within the communications team to aggregate and construct internal and external newsletters. Maintains contact lists, obtains approvals, and cross-checks links
- Monitors effectiveness of emails through analyzing responses and testing
- Reviews and edits content, quality checks various digital content before posting or sending
- Prepares images, video, and other content for use across all digital communications vehicles
- Skilled in using graphics tools such as Photoshop and Illustrator to prepare supporting content that enhances visual communications
- Organizes and maintains asset library (photo and video) for the college and its departments
- Leads in creating and maintaining a naming convention and tagging system
- Video editing and/or photography skills to create digital assets in support of digital communications is a plus
- Understands strategic objectives and proactively anticipates cross-functional dependencies. Responsible for identifying gaps, performing quality review, and escalating functional, quality, or timeline issues appropriately
- Assists with management of college social media accounts by updating information and settings, preparing graphics and videos, and occasionally posting content as needed
- Reviews and approves messages sent using University and college listservs
- Assists in onboarding of new employees by adding to all appropriate contact lists and groups.
- Manages college digital signage system. Create templates, design slides and maintains list of items in slideshow
- Manages college accounts for various online services such as project management tools, video storage and streaming, email deployment, and identifies other tools as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in technical or digital communications field, or Equivalent
- 2 years of experience
- Skilled in use of Adobe Creative Suite
- Demonstrated experience with email management tools
- Good writing, design skills, and editorial judgment
- Demonstrates initiative, is a self-starter and completes tasks with minimal supervision
- Excellent organizational, project management and planning skills, with the ability to successfully manage multiple projects and multi-task
- Strong interpersonal skills; a positive, collegial attitude; a high level of professionalism, self-starter, can work independently a as well as collaboratively on a close team
- At least two years of experience creating or managing digital content for web, email, and social media
- Expert proficiency with managing a website using CMS required. Experience with Sitecore CMS preferred
- Photography and videography skills a plus
- Experience working in higher education a plus
- Typically sitting at a desk/table
- Typically standing, walking
Hybrid/ Flexible Work Arrangement
This position is classified as Exempt with a salary grade of K. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Please review the Benefits Brochure for some information on our benefits offerings.
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Additional Required Documents:
Provide a portfolio and/or links to examples of web sites and other assets that have been managed by the candidate.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.